• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Insignia Infocast 8, or how to screw up a Chumby...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Adragontattoo

Trailer Chasing Senior
So off and on for the last few years (basically since Chumby came out), I have debated getting one to use as an Alarm clock, picture frame, and all around convenience item vs. a PC next to my bed.

Yesterday while at bestBuy, after a bit of quick googling I bought an Infocast 8, which is "powered by Chumby". Quick googling plus a 80.00 price tag gives me hope that this will serve a simple but necessary purpose.

Remember when Verizon was crippling their phones but not really telling you that they were? It's kind of like that.

The Insignia Infocast 8 has incredible specs, really, but Insignia turned it into a almost completely worthless POS..

Here is a link to the specs...

http://insigniaproducts.com/products/cameras-camcorders-photo-frames/NS-DP8CH.html

Click specifications if it doesnt go directly to it.

Audio Output 3.5-mm stereo headphone jack
Accelerometer No
Operating System Chumby OS (Linux 2.6)
Internal Memory 2GB
Screen Resolution 800x600 LCD
Apps 1500+ chumby Apps
Rechargeable Battery No
Wireless Networking Wi-Fi: 802.11b/g
Speakers Stereo (2 speakers) with SRS Sound
Built-in Microphone Yes
Memory card compatible: SD, SDHC, MMC, CF, xD, Memory Stick and Memory Stick PRO Duo
Screen Size 8.0"
Touch Screen Single touch resistive touchscreen
USB ports Two USB 2.0
Manufacturer Warranty 6 Months
Processor 800Mhz

Here is where the issues start...

Alarm clock? Only if you want 6? choices, all of which are sounds..
Streaming audio: Pandora and Shoutcast, but it craps out and again, the speakers. Oh and saving a Shoutcast stream as a favorite? NOPE. Don't even bother hoping you can wake up to Streaming audio...

Chumby Apps? Only in certain cases. It doesnt work with all of them.

Those speakers they mention? Evidently they used Fisher Price speakers.. The sound quality is comparable to a Speakerphone. On fire. Playing Music. Underwater.

Upnp support? No not really, mine crashes and then reboots when it tries to pull up any shares. I have zero issue pulling up anything on every other Upnp capable device in my condo (with caveats, the PS3 doesnt like my folder structure completely, but it at least displays the contents)...

Video: should work, but only in certain formats, and conditions.

The best part of the whole thing, even trying to use it a simple picture frame crashes it. repeatedly.

Here is my biggest gripe of all. This gripe is one that I personally hate, at work, at home, and everywhere. The forum for the Infocast is awash with folks who really want the Infocast to be good. Insignia reps might respond but typically don't and if there is, they try to pass the blame... Chumby rightfully passes any and all issues off on Insignia, due to Insignia setting the specs. Insignia, this is YOUR product, these are YOUR customers, don't friggin try to blame everything else without even a second glance.

Honestly, at this point, I am probably going to either buy a cheapo knock off Android tablet or continue using my "loaner" P3 500 laptop as an Alarm clock,picture frame, info at a glance screen.

How can you possibly screw up something so badly that it reboots when you do anything other then let it sit at the lovely shade of puke green main screen?

Really, I want to like the Infocast, but I cant find anything to praise on this thing...

Maybe coming from Android, I have too many expectations. Maybe, being a gadget lover, I am finding ONLY the faults. I don't know but I do know that the Infocast is being boxed back up and returned in about an hour...

Last edited:
The first thing I said to myself when reading this title was... "What the hell is a Chumby?". A quick Google does show it to be what looks to be a nifty little device.

Sorry about your experience with the Infocast 8, a general rule of thumb is never touch anything by Insignia, no matter what the specs look like.

Are you able to return it for a refund?

The first thing I said to myself when reading this title was... "What the hell is a Chumby?". A quick Google does show it to be what looks to be a nifty little device.

Sorry about your experience with the Infocast 8, a general rule of thumb is never touch anything by Insignia, no matter what the specs look like.

Are you able to return it for a refund?

Oh I'm sure they will accept it back.

Working on other stuff and returning it is delayed until tomorrow probably.

Chumby is a niche item but cool...

Insignia is currently relegated to my naughty list. Someday, they might make it off but I seriously doubt it.

Oh I'm sure they will accept it back.

Working on other stuff and returning it is delayed until tomorrow probably.

Chumby is a niche item but cool...

Insignia is currently relegated to my naughty list. Someday, they might make it off but I seriously doubt it.

Yeah, Insignia is one of Best Buy's in-house brands, and I've only ever seen them produce one item worth buying, a pair of bookshelf speakers. Even those have jumped up in price though, they use to be ~$50 for the pair and are amazing for that price. Other than that, stay away.

Back