• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Very frustrated at newegg for potentially questionable advertising practices.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ninth

Every single time newegg has offered a "too good to be true" deal; i.e. the BF deals, a gtx 460 for 120, a great mobo deal a while back, the list goes on over the past 4-5 years or so, I've always gone to buy it, but somewhere between when I get onto the site and finish checking out it's always sold out. Always. I have never once got a "specialty" deal on newegg, despite trying in the tens of times.

I feel like they offer these deals with stock FAR below any acceptable value, and utilize the add just to draw people in, with no intention of actually offering any volume to the customers at this price.

Do stores do this; and is it commonplace/legal? well sure, god knows I'm not so completely head in the ground as to expect otherwise, but it's a really dissapointing/frustrating tactic from someone who has come to expect generally high class business practices from newegg.

My 2c.

Like every other retailer, they push these sales to move stock. Once stock is gone so is the deal. I am not sure what you don't understand about this.

I saw the deal you're talking about on slickdeals several hours before ya posted it here, knew it would sell out fast.

How exactly is it Newegg's fault for not keeping infinite stock on hand?

You both completely missed the point of my statement; I know why and what they do; I'm just frustrated with them for doing it. I don't care about -infinate- stock, it's that it sells out within seconds of being released, leaving no chance for people without super-fancy internet to get anything -.-

You both completely missed the point of my statement; I know why and what they do; I'm just frustrated with them for doing it. I don't care about -infinate- stock, it's that it sells out within seconds of being released, leaving no chance for people without super-fancy internet to get anything -.-

Apparently it does give people the chance just not the slow ones. :cool:

On BF; I had the forms even filled out to purchase a TV; on a reasonably fast comcast internet connection; doing nothing else on my computer; Hit buy the moment the price ticked over and it was sold out before the page finished loading. This has happened every BF in memory; never been able to get anything.

Not sure how "fast" you need to be, I'm just irked at that sort of advertising tactic; it's really just a cocktease and a waste of time.

It sucks, but that's why you should always checkout newegg every once in a while. I check it in the morning, afternoon, and evening. Their shellshocker deals, depending on what they sell, tend to go very fast.

I also don't follow slickdeals because if you're one hour late into finding out about the deal, the deal is gone.

I think you're getting upset while assuming too much. You have no idea what Newegg's stock levels are, vs. how many people, just like you, are sitting at their computer trying to get in on those deals. Being (what I'd assume is the largest) online electronic retailer, you're probably not alone trying to get these deals.

Yes, it's frustrating. But if Newegg has 300 of an item, and 2000 people sitting there waiting for it to go on sale (say in your BF example), a large number of people aren't going to get the item. It sucks, but it is what it is.

Edit: And in no way is it any kind of illegal. If it was, I'd be demanding Micro Center get me a brand new Rampage II Extreme for $104

I will make this short. I do not agree with you at all.Newegg is absolutely awesome.

No, I got the point of your statement, I just disagree with you. Newegg has no obligation to hold unlimited quantities of sale items just so every random person with a giant sense of entitlement can be sure to get one.

That's not "potentially questionable advertising practices," it's just the way sales work.

No different than local brick n motar store. They advertise a hot deal, by the time you get to the store, 1,000 already went there and picked the stock clean and you get nothing for your trouble.

Early bird always get the worm.

It sucks, but that's why you should always checkout newegg every once in a while. I check it in the morning, afternoon, and evening. Their shellshocker deals, depending on what they sell, tend to go very fast.

I also don't follow slickdeals because if you're one hour late into finding out about the deal, the deal is gone.

Thank god that at least one person appreciates the statement I was trying to make and isn't being a **** and saying I'm accusing newegg of doing something illegal or anything -.-

this isn't the place for name calling even if you aren't directing it at a specific person
-mbentley

Last edited by a moderator:
maybe it is just me but it seems that most people in this thread understand what you are talking about. getting in on a deal can be difficult when the quantities are limited. many times i look at the newegg newsletters i receive in the morning and i don't really run into issues where they are out of stock when browsing, however i don't look at every single hot ticket item.

i didn't see where anyone was mentioning newegg doing anything in terms of legality except for you in your own posts. :shrug:

Edit: And in no way is it any kind of illegal. If it was, I'd be demanding Micro Center get me a brand new Rampage II Extreme for $104

I swear, it's like you are actively trying to follow me around in my threads and call me out on things; and in this case, your statement wasn't even correct :/

All this was is a gripe, not a statement of entitlement, and people have been acting like I directly attacked them or their "precious newegg" If you really don't see this; there are more problems at hand than just dissapointment at not being able to pick up on a deal -.- Whatever happened to the idea of "Hey, x in life sucks" "Yeah, you're right, it does" "oh well" discussion++; instead of, "hey, x sucks" "NO YOU'RE WRONG AND A BAD PERSON FOR BEING WRONG"

Some folks might be using form filling software. So it goes really fast on great deals for them. I seen time and time again folks hovering waiting for the great deals.

I seen BoC's go super fast on w00t. Sort of inhuman fast, but ...

Who knows, they might be using buy_bots to grab deals.

How much slower are you (usually) compared to when the deal posts until your in the ready to hit buy..?

I swear, it's like you are actively trying to follow me around in my threads and call me out on things; and in this case, your statement wasn't even correct :/

All this was is a gripe, not a statement of entitlement, and people have been acting like I directly attacked them or their "precious newegg" If you really don't see this; there are more problems at hand than just dissapointment at not being able to pick up on a deal -.- Whatever happened to the idea of "Hey, x in life sucks" "Yeah, you're right, it does" "oh well" discussion++; instead of, "hey, x sucks" "NO YOU'RE WRONG AND A BAD PERSON FOR BEING WRONG"

Take it easy. Read the thread title. Realize what you said amounts to a baseless accusation against one of the best sellers on the net. Also realize noone is saying you're a bad person, you're just wrong. It happens.

Every single time newegg has offered a "too good to be true" deal; i.e. the BF deals, a gtx 460 for 120, a great mobo deal a while back, the list goes on over the past 4-5 years or so, I've always gone to buy it, but somewhere between when I get onto the site and finish checking out it's always sold out. Always. I have never once got a "specialty" deal on newegg, despite trying in the tens of times.

I feel like they offer these deals with stock FAR below any acceptable value, and utilize the add just to draw people in, with no intention of actually offering any volume to the customers at this price.

Do stores do this; and is it commonplace/legal? well sure, god knows I'm not so completely head in the ground as to expect otherwise, but it's a really dissapointing/frustrating tactic from someone who has come to expect generally high class business practices from newegg.

My 2c.

Supply. Demand.

Every store does it. Everywhere. If you have a supermarket with beef about to expire, it's on sale for mad discounts. When it's gone, there's more at full price again. Not exactly the same as computer tech doesn't "go bad" but it's overstock that needs to move.

In addition, "Doorbuster" is a term that comes to mind. It's a deal that is 'too good to be true' to get you into the store, or in this case, the website, and maybe the mailing letter.

If you saw all GTX 460s for the same price everywhere, you'd choose pretty much the place with the best customer service, whatevs. However, if you continuously see items for awesome discounts, you're more inclined to spend time at that site and potentially buy things.

It's business in the free market economy.

Well I will say a few things. The egg has been alright over the years but i feel they are slipping.

I had a deal about 2 years ago i jumped on for a psu rebate deal. I bought the psu, and come to find out the vendor's rebate said you had to buy the product before blah blah blah but the egg had it listed as 2 days later on when the item had to be purchased by.

Just happened again to me yes in a sense i guess i should check the actual rebate first. But i bought a corsair my work buddy and I were on the computer at lunch. He seen me purchase it said the psu had to be purchased before the 31st of jan. Then i check the rebate out after i bought it. The rebate says before the 30th. I guess will see i sent the rebate out anyway with a note stating that newegg had the rebate still listed. Will see if i get the rebate or not.

Lately I've been buying everything from microcenter. I'm getting the same or better deals most of the time. Sandybridge deals they had going and the free mobo with a amd cpu purchase were pure ownage.

Newegg has just been annoying me with a lot of things lately.

I guess what the op is looking for is empathy? This stuff happens all over the place. Its not just newegg and I don't think calling them out only was appropriate considering the reality and frequmcy of this happening all over the place. That said. It sucks but move on. :)

Back