• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What got you into overclocking?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HaVoK C89

Regardless of if you are a heavy overclocker or light one, why do you do it? What caused you to want to?

I haven't yet....I plan on it. I think its a power thing for me, and that I wanna get the most out of what I pay for! :comp:

I came here looking for advice on HW to build my next computer... Started looking at what people were doing with/to their machines; and now, only a few months later, I have a benching rig and my subzero days are soon to get started.
It's addictive, frustrating and sometimes scary, but very exciting and rewarding as well.

What got me into overclocking...
Was watching a guy changing out a clock crystal. To me that was a very neat thing and enticingly naughty. I been enjoying doing/watching the overclocking hobby evolve since then.

my wallet.

How long can I make this system do everything I need it to?

Eventually that became, how fast can I make this system do everything I need it to while being rocksolid without the use of liquid nitrogen or phase change.

Watercooling is the debil! My bank account glares at me when ever I even think about the one build I have in mind.

Got into it when I knew almost nothing and bought a GeForce MX4000 for my Celeron based eMachines (first PC I owned) and learned that low end graphics cards suck at gaming :p I started with limited memory timings in the eMachines BIOS and all that was left that could be OCed was the card. Still have the card today and think I have gold cup on HWBot for 3Dmark2001 for it still :)

Because I love to, started by replacing the mobo's crystal for better clocking, then modded the mobo by cutting some traces at the pcb, and put a diy electronic circuit to boost/enhance the cpu clock signal, and finally replaced the "stock intel cpu" :shock: (yup, not a typo, the main cpu was replaced) with better one made by other company, and no, that company its not AMD. :D

Hint......its NEC and the mobo was made by IBM. :p

Last edited:
3d mark vantage lol weird huh? Idk how but I wanted to see if my CPU was bottle necking my crossfired 4870's cuz they were beasts back in the day lol so I started to ru
Benchmarks and oc too see how much I could go learned alot along the way I love learning new Stuff and that has lead me
To now learning about water cooling

I got into it because I wanted extra for free, really. I joined the forums when I wanted to overclock my Duron 650 (128 MB RAM, 30 GB HDD, GeForce 2 MX).

OC Forums got me really started on a platform upgrade a long time ago when I realized what could be gained for no cost and hours of enjoyment. I came here with my hat in my hand looking for help and the guys pulled me out from the holes I dig for myself.

Learned a lot, screwed up a lot!

My father actually got me started on it back in the Pentium 3 days. He had a 533 and I had a 566. The reason he wanted the "slower" processor was because they were a bit easier to overclock. Back then, it was just jumpers for different processors and there wasn't much room to tweak the overclock. That got me started into finding out what overclocking was, why there are limits, how to reach those limits and actually apply it. I'm not sure how I stumbled across OCForums, but I know that the quality of the site encouraged me to come back and read often.

And that I did.

My father actually got me started on it back in the Pentium 3 days. He had a 533 and I had a 566. The reason he wanted the "slower" processor was because they were a bit easier to overclock. Back then, it was just jumpers for different processors and there wasn't much room to tweak the overclock. That got me started into finding out what overclocking was, why there are limits, how to reach those limits and actually apply it. I'm not sure how I stumbled across OCForums, but I know that the quality of the site encouraged me to come back and read often.

And that I did.

Wow awesome man, that really inspires me :shock:

My first OC was a jumper accident switching between my 486 DX66 and DX50. The DX50 ran a higher bus and I forgot to lower it switching to the DX66. I didn't know others were doing this on purpose. lol

My next OCing experience was trying to get better framerates with my Geforce2 GTS while playing NFS Porsche. The PC was a dell, so I was stuck with the CPU speed.

Wanting to overclock my s478 P4 Prescott got me into watercooling. That thing was insanely hot.

replaced the "stock intel cpu" :shock: (yup, not a typo, the main cpu was replaced) with better one made by other company, and no, that company its not AMD. :D

The funny thing is. AMD used to make Intel parts. :cool: (AMD used to make IBM parts.)

By parts, I mean CPUs.

• At IBM's request, AMD signs an agreement to serve as a second source to Intel for IBM PC microprocessors.

Started researching AMD Phenom IIs and read where the 960 could be OCed to include unlocking two more cores, going from 4 to 6. Not sure if that could happen but other AMD chips came out. Want to have the 1075T in an OC project after reading the review in this forum and seeing the data results. Thanks for those who can document and demonstrate the metrics. Hearing rubber squealing on the pavement is one thing, seeing the dyno data and physics is another.

BL: New to OC and the forum. Thanks for the intro to OCing!

my wallet.

How long can I make this system do everything I need it to?

Eventually that became, how fast can I make this system do everything I need it to while being rocksolid without the use of liquid nitrogen or phase change.

Watercooling is the debil! My bank account glares at me when ever I even think about the one build I have in mind.

I thought it was my wallet at first too. Now I think I have spent more money in the last 3 months then the last 3 years :rain:

Back