• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newegg and the OCZ SSD problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deeppow

I bought a couple OCZ Vertex2 SSDs less than a month ago and one uses the new 2Xnm chips. An on-going OC thread is here. What concerns me is that the Egg is still using the original specs associated with the new SSDs. While I was pretty sure that using their chat mode would be nearly useless, I was curious about what they might say. This is the conversation:

9:15:20 AM : Please let our Representative know if you have contacted us by email regarding this same issue or question so that we may remove the duplicate request from our systems. Thank you!

9:15:26 AM : rep has joined this session!

9:15:26 AM : Connected with rep. Your reference number for this chat session is 2207858.

9:15:26 AM : Hello my name is rep. How may I help you today?

9:18:16 AM : deeppow: rep, The OCZSSD2-2VTXE60G in the above order does not perform up to its specification. OCZ has admitted to that in its forums. I'm a significant amount of time invested in its installation plus any future down time to replace it. Does Newegg plan to assist it costumer in correctng these problems??

9:19:16 AM : rep: I would be glad to assist you with that... Can you please give me one moment while I look into this for you?

9:19:31 AM : deeppow: Absolutely.

9:19:57 AM : rep: Thank you for holding. I would love to help you with this, but unfortunately, we are unable to provide technical support here at Newegg. However, If you click on this link, you will find several helpful resources like Forums, Tech Sites, & Manufacturer Resources: http://www.newegg.com/Info/KnowledgeBase.aspx

We also have our own Newegg-sponsored forums called Eggxpert, where tech-savvy customers and community volunteers share their knowledge and specialties with other forum members: http://www.eggxpert.com

Personally, I would suggest contacting the manufacturer of the product and asking them directly. Here is a link to our manufacturer contact list as well:
http://www.newegg.com/Info/ContactManufacturer.aspx I'm sorry again for not being able to help you directly, but hopefully these links will provide you with some support.

9:21:50 AM : deeppow: They aren't doing much to help us. Does Newegg plan to continue posting spectifications that do not represent the products it sells? I'm a very long time costumer and such action on your part isn't a strong commitment to your costumers.

9:22:43 AM : rep: I do apologize that all the info we have is listed online. I do not have more info than that about the item.

9:23:18 AM : rep: You can contact our eggexpert by visiting http://www.eggxpert.com for more info.

9:23:45 AM : deeppow: Its write speeds are well below the specifications. Those should be revised to reflect the real speeds.

9:24:44 AM : rep: I will forward you concern to our related department to check this issue.

9:25:10 AM : deeppow: Thank you rep. Have a great day.

9:25:26 AM : rep: No problem at all. Is there anything else I can help you with?

9:25:52 AM : deeppow: Not other than passing along the info to the proper folks.

9:26:11 AM : rep: Thank you for contacting Newegg. I hope you have an eggcellent day!
I've deleted the rep's name since I see no point in showing it.

As expected, nothing will happen. I don't see a strong business morality on display considering the time the problem has existed. I hoped for more, not from the rep since I'm sure they are very limited in what they can do, but in that Newegg would have changed the specs on the new SSDs to show their real characteristics (less storage and slower writes).

at one time, newegg seemed to be the premeire seller for just about anything. now they seem to be just another almost retail outlet. No real price savings unless you really catch the rare deal

Dang....maybe the higher ups are looking into it some more tho since this is a very recent issue? I'd hope so at least.

Newegg is doing jack and squat, and jack already left the building...

I stopped dealing with Newegg last year and, honestly, even with the problems I've experienced with other companies, I'd still rather deal with "their" BS than deal with Newegg again.

Certain people on this board railed on me when I had bad interractions with Newegg, and accused me of shilling for another company (not you...just mentioning that there are people here who absolutely refuse to believe newegg can do anything wrong)

My note to Newegg if they read this thread: When you drive off customers who've spent enough money with your company to buy a new BMW 5 Series, it's you who is screwing up...no one else.

Newegg is doing jack and squat, and jack already left the building...

I stopped dealing with Newegg last year and, honestly, even with the problems I've experienced with other companies, I'd still rather deal with "their" BS than deal with Newegg again.

Certain people on this board railed on me when I had bad interractions with Newegg, and accused me of shilling for another company (not you...just mentioning that there are people here who absolutely refuse to believe newegg can do anything wrong)

My note to Newegg if they read this thread: When you drive off customers who've spent enough money with your company to buy a new BMW 5 Series, it's you who is screwing up...no one else.

Newegg does read these threads. Why don't you contact our in-house Newegg rep directly?

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=616301

Or try sending a PM:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/member.php?u=58970

OP, in my opinion you went a little hard on that rep. If you have a technical issue with a product, the rep probably can't help you. Just finding a random rep and telling them that a product has slow write speeds means nothing to someone whose job is general customer service. I believe OCZ has a different model number for the 2x nm drives - did you mention that the real problem is selling two different versions of the hardware as the same product? Again, Newegg is usually very helpful to OCForums members, and you'll probably get much better results contacting our rep directly.

Newegg does read these threads. Why don't you contact our in-house Newegg rep directly?

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=616301

Or try sending a PM:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/member.php?u=58970

Yep. I've dealt with the Rep here before. A LOT. He's a nice person. I have nothing bad to say about him at all. The fact I have dealt with him a lot is the reason I no longer shop Newegg. He's a good person though who really tries to help people out so I give him props! :attn:

Yep. I've dealt with the Rep here before. A LOT. He's a nice person. I have nothing bad to say about him at all. The fact I have dealt with him a lot is the reason I no longer shop Newegg. He's a good person though who really tries to help people out so I give him props! :attn:

you should say people. I can tell by the post its not one person taking care of the issues.

On top of that I will come from the e-sales side of things cause i did that for about 2 years with a big company.
Getting 100's of new products in a month, with manufactures specs, crappy manufactures pics, hot items, hype, ect does not make it easy.

When I was writing specs I always tried to do it right. If I heard from people I would go right to the top of the company with the issue. We would talk about it and most of the time contact the manufacture. Let me tell you something about manufactures and retailers. WHEN IT COMES TO RETAILERS AND MANUFACTURES, MANUFACTURES SUCK! not a little but a lot. People would have a problem with an item and want us to take it back. we would eat cost big time when they could not e-mail but CALL the manufactures and get shipping cost covered BOTH ways covered and have it back in 18 days or so.

So you want right facts then pressure then manufactures not the retailers. manufactures have a lot of power over retailers when u *****. more then u bitching retailers.

So in conclusion deeppow jump OCZs *** about spec.
http://www.ocztechnology.com/ocz-agility-2-sata-ii-2-5-ssd.html

cause they say they have the read--write not newegg.

hank123,

I think OCZ has received significant input about the problem. A number of threads exits here and on other sites including the OCZ forum. You might catch up.

I have no grip about the Newegg Chat rep and gave the person high marks in my post-chat survey. Tried to also reflect that in my initial post. But to say the resellers are free of blame is just not true. Why do you think such sites as ResellerRaings exist?

If Newegg wishes to be part of the problem by advertising the original performance specs then that is their choice. However knowingly doing so could be subject to ethical questions. And the question of false advertising might enter the picture too.

I'll agree, newegg has been advised about the spec difference by numerous people. The ratings on newegg for that drive also mention the same problems, yet they are doing nothing to change the read/write specs of the "E" drives.

hank123,

I think OCZ has received significant input about the problem. A number of threads exits here and on other sites including the OCZ forum. You might catch up.

I have no grip about the Newegg Chat rep and gave the person high marks in my post-chat survey. Tried to also reflect that in my initial post. But to say the resellers are free of blame is just not true. Why do you think such sites as ResellerRaings exist?

If Newegg wishes to be part of the problem by advertising the original performance specs then that is their choice. However knowingly doing so could be subject to ethical questions. And the question of false advertising might enter the picture too.

If they have received a lot of input but still refuse the face the fact still sounds like their issue.
Reseller ratings has nothing to do with the info they list on there page. I have a hard time thinking you telling a rep at newegg is going to change anything. I still stand on what I said before. Have the manufacture change it and the rest will follow.

I'll agree, newegg has been advised about the spec difference by numerous people. The ratings on newegg for that drive also mention the same problems, yet they are doing nothing to change the read/write specs of the "E" drives.

"Newegg should believe a bunch of OC'ers over the manufacturer for system specs" is what I just read from your statement?

OCZ is still probably figuring out what the hell they're going to change if anything advertised specs wise. Blaming newegg for not changing something you think is wrong when they might be told by the manufacturer that it's right is dumb. It's neweggs job to list the MANUFACTURER specs and since you're complaining, I think they did a pretty good job at doing so. Just don't buy the dang product and go on about your business.

You should always go by specs from the MANUFACTURER and look up the model number from the MANUFACTURER then go to your local retailer or newegg or where ever else you buy from and look up the product from the model number. A retailer can play it off as a typo but a manufacturer should have their information straight on their own product.

From the speed reading I was doing earlier, it seems the specs on OCZ's webpage say "up to" 270 mbs for example so they technically aren't lying but I still think thats a douchebag move so speak with your wallet and make sure OCZ realizes that is not an ok business practice and stop pestering newegg and any other site.

*EDIT* hank's got the right idea about having OCZ change and the rest will follow.

Last edited:
Aren't the sustained read/writes the advertised speeds? And isn't there no difference in sustained transfer rates between the two models?

Aren't the sustained read/writes the advertised speeds? And isn't there no difference in sustained transfer rates between the two models?

Not sure but all v2's should have similar performance in all areas and if they have to use new chips they should make a v2x or something to distinguish between the two.

If Intel released a new i7 920 and it was clocked lower than the other 920 and just tried to have it go unnoticed, that would not fly with me.

So the consensus here is to have newegg, a MAJOR provider of OCZ SSD's FUDGE the numbers that they receive FROM OCZ just to stave off complaints?

Personally, newegg isnt where i look for SPECS on a product............but wait for the payoff..............if I go to OCZ it still says the same specs.

Why is everyone jumping down newegg's throat on this? :shrug:

Not defending newegg as I do believe they have grown a bit too large to be considered the shop they once were, but they cannot just change the ratings for "E" drives.

I have 2 "E" drives that are 34nm. They both show 111.9gb formatted and they both have their rated speeds. So for newegg to change the specs on all the "E" drives would be tough as they arent all the same.

OCZ screwed this one up.

My fault on blaming newegg. I had previously thought that ocz had given them the information about the changes after changing the drive to "E" drives, but I do now realize that ocz themselves have not changed the specs.

The problem is, not even OCZ knows though. Like I said, some "E" drives are coming 34nm. They are mix and matched. Others have also reported getting "E" drives that are 34nm although people always think they are 25nm.

So the consensus here is to have newegg, a MAJOR provider of OCZ SSD's FUDGE the numbers that they receive FROM OCZ just to stave off complaints?

Personally, newegg isnt where i look for SPECS on a product............but wait for the payoff..............if I go to OCZ it still says the same specs.

Why is everyone jumping down newegg's throat on this? :shrug:

I don't think anyone jumped down anyone's throat.

I've discussed this with the Newegg rep and yes they are caught in between. Plus I seriously doubt the customer service folks are schooled with the tech side of things. Best we can do as costumers is note it in their product reviews and there have been a number of negative comments related to these particular drives in question.

Tony at OCZ posted info several days ago that indicated you could tell the problem SSDs in that they would provide less the 93% of the advertised storage capability, e.g. less that 0.93 * 60G if it had the 25nm NANDS. Enough less that you won't wonder if it is less. I assume that info is still valid.

Back