• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cheap domain renewals?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kayson

It's pretty to find dirt cheap deals on new domains, but what about renewals? I just got charged $11 by GoDaddy automatically for renewing my domain (my own fault for not handling it myself before the expiration), which I think is a little ridiculous considering I paid $1 to buy the damn thing. Anyone know of a good place to get renewals cheaper?

Hey :)

Not that I know of, directly, but that's about the going rate for renewals. Personally, I'm a fan of paying for good service vs cheap as possible (which is why I left GoDaddy, but any-who). Currently I'm using hover.com and I'm quite satisfied, but it's $15/yr for renewals.

All that aside, $11 (or even $15) is pretty dang cheap per year. That's, what, about $1 a month? Whens the last time you had a Starbucks, or ate out, or used a soda/snack vending machine? Just sayin' it's very cheap compared to other expenses in life. Meh. :shrug:

On a side note, a lot of hosting providers have free renewals now w/their service.

Ok, I'll get off my soap box now. Hope you can find something cheaper! :)

Edit: Depending on how many domains you're looking at, you might want to consider bulk/reseller accounts. You might have to do a min of 10 or 20 or so, but it's cheaper per domain for most transactions. I forgot to mention that earlier.

Also what about if you forget to renew it/let it expire and some bot gobbles it up and spams you with emails asking you to pay a couple hundred dollars for it back? Are you SOL? :eh?:

Also what about if you forget to renew it/let it expire and some bot gobbles it up and spams you with emails asking you to pay a couple hundred dollars for it back? Are you SOL? :eh?:

For small users like you or me, maybe. For big companies like Microsoft and Pepsi, they could sue the domain gobbler out of business before they had a chance to send a single spam.

Back