• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Been a long time...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gromet

Registered
Hey there everyone,

Been a LONG time since i have been on OverClockers. Anyway, I just built a new rig and am starting to get back into overclocking... played around this morning and a LOT has changes since I did any of this years ago.

New Build:

Intel Core i7 950 3.07Ghz Processor
Gygabyte GA-X58A-UD5 Mobo
VisionTek Radeon HD 6970 Graphics Card
12GB Corsair Vengence DDR3 Memory Kit
CoolerMaster HAF 922 Chassis
Corsair 750 Modular Power Supply

After playing with some settings this morning, I'm at 4.08Ghz. I have seen some people able to get up to about 4.2Ghz, but when I mimic those setting it won't boot up...

Idle Temps right now are around 62C.

I don't even know where the Temos should be...

I am using the stoch Intel CPU cooler, but thinking abut getting like a Corsair H50 Hydro. Are they any good, or do I need to rething to something better?

Anyway, how are the specs of the comp and what does everyone recomend as far as where to take it from here?

Thanks in advance,

-Gromet

Well, welcome back! Check otu the guide in my signature for some details, but looks like you are well on your way... ;)

As far as temps, idle really doesnt matter but I can tell you that those idle temps are WAY warm. Have you stress tested for stability? What do those temps reach?

You need another cooler though ASAP. I would get H70 if you can afford it. H50 isnt that great (a lot of air coolers beat it for 1/2 the cost).

Thanks,

H70 will be here in about 10 minutes. Should be fun to install... I just ran Prime95, Like I said idle Temps are about 62C. when I started Prime everything spiked to 100C. LOL. So I sent one of my guys to grab me an H70. Will be interesting to see the difference in temps.

-Gromet

OK... So H70 is Installed. Idle Temps are now about 40C. Ran Prime95 and At 100% load my Temps are now about 80C at the highest.

Is this acceptable?

I'm @ 4.1Ghz right now, can I get any more out of the i7 950?

-Gromet

That's probably about as high as you want to go temp-wise. Have you tried lowering the vcore as much as you can?

That's probably about as high as you want to go temp-wise. Have you tried lowering the vcore as much as you can?

I'm trying to find a guide with settings... Do you have recommended settings?

Every CPU, even your 950 and other 950s, is different so you can't just plug in someone's settings to get a guaranteed stable OC. You need to take it slowly, changing settings one at a time and in small increments to get your optimal OC. Here's the guide EarthDog is talking about, and the more detailed version at TechReaction here.

OK, Made some tweeks... I'm @ 4.2Ghz. Seems stable so far. Going to put it through it's paces tonight.

Thanks for the help guys.

-Gromet

Figured since you guys helped me out, I would post a pic of the rig so you knew what I was talkign about...

Thanks again...

Front.jpg

Inside.jpg
-Gromet

Back