• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HP Business Support

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CompuTamer

Member with Some Fancy Text Under His Name
Hey guys. So, two little bugs with my 6910p are about to drive me mad, and i'm sending it in to be fixed. Bottom backlight tube is buzzing like mad, like to the point of rattling the frame of the panel, and the WWAN option in the BIOS had vanished, which from what i can find is due to a bad motherboard.

How long can i expect this repair to take? Or do you think they'll just replace the laptop with a refurbished unit since it basically needs to have 80% of it replaced? I'm hoping to have it back not long after the end of Spring break, but i have GOT to have it the week after next.

The box should be here tomorrow...

I just recently RMA'd a laptop to HP, it was a very quick process. I chatted with someone at like 10pm on a Wednesday. Friday I had the box at my door when coming home from work. Dropped it off at FedEx, so it could go out Saturday morning. They received it that following Tuesday. Wednesday I got an email saying it was sent back out. Received it that Friday.

So in total, the whole process took from very late on a Wednesday night, to the following Friday. The majority of that was things in transit with FedEx. Now, this was just for a keyboard that needed to be replaced, you're situation may be different, but overall I'd say it was a positive experience. They send you out an update email every single step of the process. They sent a box. They received the laptop. They fixed the laptop. They sent the laptop back out, etc, etc...

When I had my parent's Compaq sent in for RMA a few years ago (a couple years after HP and Compaq got together) it was a few days at their shop + shipping both way. Total was less than 2 weeks from out the door till back in the door.

I'll assume HP has similar service so those in USA should expect a fairly quick service time.

HP will attempt repairs 3 time before they consider replacement, but your only looking at 7-8 business days turnaround for the repairs.

HP will attempt repairs 3 time before they consider replacement, but your only looking at 7-8 business days turnaround for the repairs.

This is looking like it'll be a complete replacement either way. Glad to hear that it won't take all that long.

Well, after and hour and a half of finding a FedEx outlet, it's off. It should arrive at 10AM.

Last edited:
So, it got in Friday morning at 7AM Cali time. Then apparently it got to my door again around 10AM MS time this morning...? Could they have possibly repaired it and turned it around that fast? Or do you think that they decided that it couldn't be repaired for some reason?

7 am cali time, 10 MS time? They got it to you a few hours before they fixed it?

It seems a bit confusing. But I'd wait and check when they come in to see if it was fixed or if they rejected it.

I prefer DELL support. Although I do have an HP laptop that I need to get serviced (whenever I get around to it.) We'll see how that goes.

7 am cali time, 10 MS time? They got it to you a few hours before they fixed it?

It seems a bit confusing. But I'd wait and check when they come in to see if it was fixed or if they rejected it.

They got it on Friday, and it said it was returned on Monday.

Any update? Was it fixed?

Sorry :) Meant what Jon said below.
They got it on Friday, and it said it was returned on Monday.

Any update? Was it fixed?

It was. Kinda. They fixed the screen, replaced the fan (which i wasn't aware was broken) and reinstalled the OS. They didn't fix the WWAN issue though. They're refusing to admit that this computer even has any sort of 3G support, even though it says plain as day in the manual you can install a WWAN modem in the computer even if it doesn't come with one.

Back