• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BH6 and large amounts of ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Petebert

anyone have any problems with their BH6 and large sticks of ram, since the very first hour that I put in a 256meg stick to go along with a 128 and 64 that where already there ive been getting IE errors out the arse, I ran a program called docmem, so far I havent let it loop more then once but it found no problems with the ram itself, I also get other errors with windows but not nearly as common as the IE ones, from time to time when browsing through folders it will give me an error and close the window im in.

It may not be a problem with the big stick of ram as much as being multiple sticks of ram, especially if overclocked. Pull all but the 256 chip and try that. Add one at a time checking stability after each one. Many BH6's had trouble running multple sticks of ram.

it Shouldnt be that but i could try it, i was using a 128 a 64 and a 32 all PC100 with my celeron 633@950 for a 100mhz bus, this new stick is PC133 256 megs

My BH6 has no trouble running 2 64mb generic pc100 sticks + 1 256mb crucial pc133 stick all @ 112fsb.
Are you fsb overclocking? If yes, your older sticks may not be up to task.

It could also be the way it's populated...some mobo's want the ram in certain places...check your manual to see if you need to exchange the arangement, e.g. which goes in first and so on, and if you don't have a manual, you can download one from Abit...some mobo's also have trouble with different speed ram.
In some rare cases you need to reverse the order.
another suggestion is to put the 256 stick in dimm#1, leave dimm#2 unpopulated, unless you only have three slots.
In my SH6, I had to put 1 stick in dimm1, and put the other stick in dim3, and I left dimms2 and 4 empty.
Also by themselves each would only do about 157mhz fsb, but with two arranged the way I have it now, they are at 159mhz, (p.o.s.t. says 158mhz)and they were dissimiliar as well...one is Mushkin pc133 rev2, and the other is Mushkin pc150 rev3, both are 128mb.
Hope this helps
Rod

Back