• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mixing AMD/Intel products?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JKessell

So the long and short of it is I had to build a new PC roughly one month ago because my last one was at its wits end.

Upon completion of my build it looks something like this:

pLns9.png

An AMD CPU + AMD compatible motherboard but an Nvidia GPU.

Did I make a mistake here going with products mixed between two companies? I was thinking about maybe SLI'ing in the future but as a result of this I see it's going to be a problem as my AMD compatible motherboard wouldn't support NVidia SLI.

What do you guys suggest I do? Replace my AMD parts with Intel or do I switch my Nvidia GPU to something AMD?

Thoughts please! :p:p

Thanks guys. I get that I'm fine mixing parts but in order to get a more powerful GPU setup in the future (SLI/Crossfire), I'd have to switch up some parts as they are not compatible together.

I was just curious if you guys think it's worth it to switch to compatible parts and run a Crossfire/SLI setup or just get one massively dual-GPU card like a 590.

You may not know it, but Intel and Nvidia are two different companies...and AMD only acquired ATI recently.

Also just because ATI is now an AMD product, it doesn't necessarily mean that an ATI gpu is the best for an AMD chip (please no fanboy flames) I do not know which gpu is the king of the hill right now whether it be AMD/ATI or Nvidia but your setup should be fine.

I once took a Maxtor Hdd from an Apple Imac and formatted for PC and it is still running PC software.. problem is that it is only 6gb

Me personaly, I would go with a huge card...that way, if you suddenly run into some ready cash, you can get another and REALLY have a smokin' setup

I would have no problem using an ATI/AMD video card on my Intel® Core™ I7 processor based system. As a matter of fact most of our extreme broads are certified for Crossfire. Also if I were to build an AMD based system I wouldn’t have a problem using an Intel SSD 320 or 510.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

Phenom 965 with a gtx 450 over here! only issue with nvidia on amd, is that its usually single card only unless you buy a special SLI board which usually lack other features.

Back