• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Walmart return policy really suck

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

4GHZ_or_bust

Now 6GHz or Bust!
I bought Thundercats DVD set, Season Two Vol. Two. I didn't notice at the time but it was an error box set with 2x Disc 9+10 and no Disc 7+8 :bang head I checked qith Warner if they could do a mail in trade but they said they didn't have any in stock as it's older product and suggested I try returning to store.

So I went back to Walmart to try and get an exchange. One problem, they don't have any on hand to exchange with. So I asked if they could check other Walmart for it.

Just about every Walmart stores within 50 miles either only had S1V1 or no Thundercats DVD at all so it couldn't be excanged for exact same as policy required.

Oops, their policy forbid refund. But I can't get it exchanged because they didn't have any in stock so I get stuck with dud :temper: :mad::mad:

So they can't exchange, won't refund because I opened, and I can't get exchange with WB. And since it's open, I can't flip it on eBay as rare error label DVD :p

Walmart really needs to tweak their no refund policy to make exception if they can verify no stock anywhere (and any nearby stores)

You should have asked to speak to a manager. The return policy does not apply to any mis-packaged items in any retail store. Don't give up, go back to wallyworld and ask to speak to the store manager. Explain the situation and let them know that you actually purchased a mis-packaged item. I own a computer shop and as we all know, video games are absolutly ZERO returnable. I have however been able to take returns as long as the items were mis-packaged. Case in point, COD MW2 game sold with no DVD in case. Yep, I am the one that opened it and there was nothing inside. I contacted my supplier and they had heard it before. I thought I checked every one but missed one and sure enough it was returned the same day..

This isn't something that anyone wants to happen to them or their customer and with a good attitude, and a little patience you should be able to return it for a full refund.

Chaiyz

I was going to try a different Walmart next time I go out. It still stinks that sales drone at one store was inflexible with this situation.

I liked Walmart better when the employees could only answer with things like "¿Usted quiere la salsa de tomate con esas fritadas? " no matter what I asked. They didn't pester me if I needed anything 100x a minute.

One once returned a defective for an exchange. They opened the new one up. Curiously I asked why, they said it is so I do not return it for a refund? I never have figured that one out.

One once returned a defective for an exchange. They opened the new one up. Curiously I asked why, they said it is so I do not return it for a refund? I never have figured that one out.

Used to make sense about 10 years ago when receipt wasn't required for returns. But now day, virtually every store requires receipt and some stores like Walmart can track by receipt so you can't return the second time for refund if you already exchanged an open package. Even if you had photocopy of the receipt to avoid the stapled on details, the computer system will notify the employee and they'd refuse refund.

In Walmart's defense, their size means they attract a lot of thieves and people trying to take advantage of the system. My mother has worked there for several years, across multiple locations and has told many stories like that.

In the subject, within the last year I returned a small Acer computer, but I was fine with getting a gift card. Told them straight up there was nothing wrong with it and everything. Didn't take too long and I was on my way. But I also kept all packaging and put everything back the way it was. I could have been a turd and swapped out the memory and hard drive though. (Obviously I wouldn't/didn't since I've no need for such parts anyway.)

Honestly, here's what I'd do:

Go back to the store and ask to speak with the manager, and tell them this:

"This is a courtesy visit, and the last one I'll make on this subject. You sold this item to me, and it was not as advertised. While I find your policies interesting, your proposal that you can legally rip me off for the cost of a DVD is erroneous. The product was not as advertised.

I'm going to offer you these choices:

1. I can return the defective product for a full refund.
2. You can find me a replacement product that is not defective.
3. I will have you personally served court papers, and sue you in small claims court for the cost of the DVD, plus court costs, and missed work.

I guarantee a judge will not be amused by their 'If we don't have it in stock, we can legally rip you off' defense.

Chances are quite likely they decide to refund your money. If not, make sure you follow through. I guarantee, they'd have special training at that Walmart to ensure it didn't happen again.

Companies often erroneously assume if they have a 'policy' then they can do something illegal... like refuse to return a defective product. That's not how the law works though. They can either sell you what you bought, or they can give you your money back.

Look I work for Walmart. Not at a retail store but I know how things work. Call 1-800-Wal-Mart or go to walmartstores.com/7663.aspx and tell them your story. This will get you results, not only will they take care of you they'll know you by name and more than likey you will get a call from a manager of that store to see whats going on and make sure your taken care of. The one thing that they want to do is make sure this is taken care of. Let me know how this goes.

Look I work for Walmart. Not at a retail store but I know how things work. Call 1-800-Wal-Mart or go to walmartstores.com/7663.aspx and tell them your story. This will get you results, not only will they take care of you they'll know you by name and more than likey you will get a call from a manager of that store to see whats going on and make sure your taken care of. The one thing that they want to do is make sure this is taken care of. Let me know how this goes.

Heeeey. He DOES work for Walmart! I remember your Avatar from the commercials. Hmmm. He was smiling more in the commercials... ;)

I got the refund. I tried a different store, and when they verified there was no replacement DVD anywhere within reasonable distance, they got the manager to come in and over ride and issued me refund.

I had this very same problem when the second Apple Pie movie came out. The DVD wouldn't play. I exchanged it 3 times and all three copies were the same. It would open to the FBI warning and then stay there.

Took some serious complaining, but I finally got them to give a refund after they verified that the disk did not play. The electronics manager even opened another one of his stock to see if it would play. It didn't.

But I agree, they do need to make exceptions in extenuating circumstances.

Back