• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Buy Refund Check Issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GoD_tattoo

I purchased an Ipad 2 on launch day. Had a huge light leak issue, so I returned it within 7 days. Since it was over $500, they had to issue a refund check from the corporate office.

After a week or so, I got my check in the mail for $700. Deposited it in my bank, and everything was good.

After two weeks, I got a letter from the bank stating that the check had a Stop Payment on it, and I had to pay $25 for this. I then contacted Best Buy and spoke with someone (who was very nice) and she tried to figure out why this happened. After a week, she was unable to even figure out who the person was who stopped the payment. Finally after about another week, I recieved the new check in the mail. Upon opening it, I find its for the original $700.

I contacted Best Buy again and found out that its their policy to not refund bank fees even when it was their fault.

Im upset about this. I purchased an item. Returned it, and had to wait to recieve my money. Ok, understood. Now they stop payment on it, I get charged $25 and they refuse to give me that money. I asked about reward zone points, a gift card, anything. Im not asking for any more than what i am out. I had to pay $25 for the stopped payment fee when i did nothing to cause it.

I will never make another large purchase (over $500) at Best Buy again. This is wrong. I waited over a month for my money, and had to eat $25. This is a poor business practice, and I hope everyone is aware of this.

sadly, buying at best buy is a poor comsumer practice. I bought a car dvd player there way back when they were expensive, it died literally 3 weeks after the warranty was up, and they wouldnt even help to find repair info for me. I could find that easy enough. But that taught me a big lesson-best buy doesnt care anything about you except that you bring them your money. I will use them as a price tool and buy elsewhere when possible. Sears on the other hand- services everything that they sell and will price match

they are like the eb games of electronic stores. Do what i do, if ever you find yourself wanting something new and shinny just buy it from some crap store like them and return it befor the time limmit. When they ask if there is anything wrong with it just look, smile and say you just dont like the color.

When i was testing out headphones i bought 4 different pairs and returned them all a few days later, posted a review online about the quality of them lol. I tested every game console this way, camaras, electronics like a new gpu. I dont care, just use them for what you need. I do buy stuff from them but mostly on need and cant wait to order it online. If i could add it all up i bet ive returned $5000 in crap that i just wanted to try out over the years.

this must of been something because of apple.... i *might* work at best buy and have returned WAY more than a single 500 dollar item right back to a credit card, and in cash.... $10 bucks says its something to do with apple... you would not believe the restrictions on selling those things.

they are like the eb games of electronic stores. Do what i do, if ever you find yourself wanting something new and shinny just buy it from some crap store like them and return it befor the time limmit. When they ask if there is anything wrong with it just look, smile and say you just dont like the color.

When i was testing out headphones i bought 4 different pairs and returned them all a few days later, posted a review online about the quality of them lol. I tested every game console this way, camaras, electronics like a new gpu. I dont care, just use them for what you need. I do buy stuff from them but mostly on need and cant wait to order it online. If i could add it all up i bet ive returned $5000 in crap that i just wanted to try out over the years.

This is a pretty awful way to behave, to be quite honest. No wonder Best Buy treat customers like crap when you carry on like this. It just drives up overheads (and hence prices) and makes staff distrustful of customers.

this must of been something because of apple.... i *might* work at best buy and have returned WAY more than a single 500 dollar item right back to a credit card, and in cash.... $10 bucks says its something to do with apple... you would not believe the restrictions on selling those things.

I used to work for a similar store in the UK - faulty Apple products used to always have to go back to the repair centre if they were bought over 30 days ago. Partly because within a week after a new iPod release you'd find everyone who recently bought an old-gen model getting buyers remorse and reporting strange irreproducible faults ... :rolleyes:

I'm not a fan of Apple, nor of abusing returns policies.

Usually it's a cash thing. I got hit with that one time at best buy. We also do it at Microcenter
It sucks, but that's why You don't pay in cash.

are you smoking crack boy i thought i was bad with returning stuff. Maybe your the reason why their prices suck lol.

I used to work there the only time to buy is when it says as advertised.

Some customers have gotten banned from the stores for excessive returns. I remember a news about a customer who would really abuse the return policy at Target. She'd buy stuff for her bedroom's decor. A month later she gets tired of it, returns everything for refund, and buy all new decors. Repeat every few weeks to couple months. Then she had the gall to complain to a local news station when Target said enough, banned her, and blacklisted all of her credit card from future purchases.

Returning things just because you can is not a game. I does cost the rest of us. I use BB often because if I need it now and they do match the EGG. Their staff is ignorant of many things but on the level of Joe Blow they are pretty smart.

What you are doing, cravinmild, is paramount to fraud and makes legit returns harder for the rest of us. Please stop.

Returning things just because you can is not a game. I does cost the rest of us. I use BB often because if I need it now and they do match the EGG. Their staff is ignorant of many things but on the level of Joe Blow they are pretty smart.

What you are doing, cravinmild, is paramount to fraud and makes legit returns harder for the rest of us. Please stop.

yes, just recently we have to start asking people for their ID's when returning anything... because of people like that.

yes, just recently we have to start asking people for their ID's when returning anything... because of people like that.

As well that is why returning policies are getting stricter ans stricter as time goes on.

Back