• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SB or BD?!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

manu2b

Well,

Stupid question indeed, isn't it?

But I am becoming impatient, and started to ordering pieces for my new rig: case, PSU, HDD, SSD, Ram.

Main stuff still missing: mobo and cpu.

And I am getting impatient! Should I go for a 2600k or should I wait 6 more weeks for BD?

After having a look at the TechRepublik "projection benchmark", I am really not sure about BD...

Also, as I am quite new to PCs, can I crossfire my 6950 unlocked and OCed with a 6970 on an Intel platform?

Thank you for your input.

No idea what BD has in store for us, so if you are itching, grab a 2600k. Proven performance.

As far as crossfire, yes you can do that on Intel boards.

Ok EarthDog,

Do you think it is necessary to Watercool the 2600k to get good OC, or will I be just fine with a top end aircooler?

My girlfriend loves my 955 watercooled and I won't have the money to build a WC loop for the 2600k...

EDIT: no rush... Just itchin'!

Water cooling is absolutely unnecessary unless you want to ultraclock and overvolt significantly. If you ran like 1.65V and 5.8Ghz (which someone apparently pulled off) you'd probably want water as you might not cope with that heat too well without the finest air cooling and tonnes of case air flow.

Anywhere under 1.5V the cpu runs pretty cool. With a Cooler Master Hyper 212 $30 or less cooler, you can get any SB chip to 4.5Ghz.

Ok, I might not wait for BD then...

An advice for the mobo maybe?

Just about any midrange (think $150-200) will do. Motherboards are not the limiting factor for SB. ;)

The only real reason to wait for BD is if you crunch or fold. Otrher than that the HT and high clocks of the 2600K will do more to get your rocks off.

There are exceptions other than DC to this and you would know if that applied to you. You asked the question so I don't believe it applies.

I personally like playing with both so I am in bed with both and might get both eventually.

Ok,

So, mainly for gaming, even if it is no more than a couple of hours a day, I like it to be... smooth and beautiful!

And let's say that I like to push the machine to its limit... Maybe it's just about being a number freak, no?

So, SB is the best shot I guess.

I am a bit confused:

About PCIe: what does x16/x16, x16/x4, or x8/x8?

As I will Xfire, which is the best solution?

I am a bit confused:

About PCIe: what does x16/x16, x16/x4, or x8/x8?

As I will Xfire, which is the best solution?

SLI is better less driver problems.

X16/X16 is video card slot speed when running two cards, or you can have X8/x8 speed is slower however is only about 2-6 % sli or xfire.

when you run x4 slot both slots run x4 sli or xfire.

Hi Wingman,

I know ATI drivers sometimes suck, but I already have a 6950 modded, and it would be a budget crime to grab a couple of 570's...

Cool!

I plan on grabbing the Asus P8P67-Pro...

It should be compatible with a Hackintosh setup...

Back