• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gateway Support SUX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Archer0915

"The Expert"
I sent an email to support asking what (if any) consumer desktop PC models supported raid. I noted there was no information on their website that I could find when looking at the specs of their more expensive models.

This was their response:

Dear Kevin Marlin,

Thank you for contacting Gateway. I’ll be happy to assist you.

As per your mail we understand that you need to know about the computer supports raid 0 and/or 1 as well as raid level 5.

Please be informed that this email forum is to provide technical support for the Gateway products.

In order to get to know about the product specifications you may please contact our authorized retail and online stores at: http://www.gateway.com/retail/consumer.php?cmpid=supportnav

Please feel free to get back to us if you need any further assistance.
Its been pleasure to assist you.

For further assistance you can visit our website http://support.gateway.com
Have a nice day!

Respectfully,
Gateway Online Technical Support

I am a bit PISSED. I told them upfront I could not find the required information on their website.

Last edited:
What brought you to look at a Gateway in the first place? Get thyself to Newegg and build it! :)

What brought you to look at a Gateway in the first place? Get thyself to Newegg and build it! :)

Editorial and/or article I am putting together. I am also having trouble getting a reply out of HP. Can't wait to get to Dell. I don't need anything off the shelf because there is nothing off the shelf I want and nothing I would configure anywhere that I could not do myself. I prefer getting full manufacturer warranties even if it takes a little more cash.

Write this in column: Gateway support is run by monkey.

Tech support have been hit or miss, even if you have in-warranty issue. I contacted Asus for in warranty issue with my laptop, they responded weeks later because they forgot to put on their web site the support would be closed for Chinese holiday. I ended up fixing my laptop (and voided warranty) while waiting. :mad: OTOH when my parent's HP computer went on the blink, I got the RMA very fast. They even sent in a shipping box with pre-paid label 2 days later.

Tech support have been hit or miss, even if you have in-warranty issue. I contacted Asus for in warranty issue with my laptop, they responded weeks later because they forgot to put on their web site the support would be closed for Chinese holiday. I ended up fixing my laptop (and voided warranty) while waiting. :mad: OTOH when my parent's HP computer went on the blink, I got the RMA very fast. They even sent in a shipping box with pre-paid label 2 days later.

HP gave a satisfactory reply.

My response to Gateway would have been

Listen you moron, it isn't on the page, and any other company would know that tech support IS for precisely this kind of question.

Well I have been asked to make the lack of support by some OEMs a selling point. I am going to try to introduce the real usefulness of raid 1 in a way that common users can understand. I may touch on 0+1 and 5 but that may not really be an option for people in the mainstream OEM market because there is not enough space in the case. I will also cover the external drive options as well as using one internal drive with sync software if that is your only option because of a lack of RAID support on the board and an upgrade card is not an option.

The point will be a short and sweet editorial (few hundred words) about file security and how backing up to non volatile media, unless done every time a file is updated or added, can have a high cost in lost information and media.

I had a drive fail on one of my raids recently and if the information had not been properly stored a months worth of pics and home video as well as part of my VHS collection would have been gone. Think of all the normal people out there who think raid is bug spray or a organized attack? They have a couple of years worth of pictures and video on their rig and then one day poof and it will cost $200+ to get that one important file.

Gateway/E-machine/Acer.. In reverse order.

Acer bought E-machine, then took over Gateway to get in the big box stores. Now Acer is the generic overall budget supplier for stuff, due to the takeovers. Some of the products are pretty good, long as you do not have issues.

If you do, your going to be pulling hair out; e.i. - I got my wife an i7 machine(really high end) right after the i7 launch. Her pick!) It took 7 months before support for that machine showed up on the serial.

I already took over the board and flashed it to the 'real' OEM supplier. The 4850 that came with the OEM box was actually a pretty good card. Board was OK too. Long as you know what the manufacturer is, past the branding..

Acer/E-machines/Gateway, has not built a machine in ages/ Look 'For I have sinned' Yes that was my post/ paid for it in time and effort screwing around with Acer. Archer, you must repent for your sins!

Last edited:
Gateway/E-machine/Acer.. In reverse order.

Acer bought E-machine, then took over Gateway to get in the big box stores. Now Acer is the generic overall budget supplier for stuff, due to the takeovers. Some of the products are pretty good, long as you do not have issues.

If you do, your going to be pulling hair out; e.i. - I got my wife an i7 machine(really high end) right after the i7 launch. Her pick!) It took 7 months before support for that machine showed up on the serial.

I already took over the board and flashed it to the 'real' OEM supplier. The 4850 that came with the OEM box was actually a pretty good card. Board was OK too. Long as you know what the manufacturer is, past the branding..

Acer/E-machines/Gateway, has not built a machine in ages/ Look 'For I have sinned' Yes that was my post/ paid for it in time and effort screwing around with Acer. Archer, you must repent for your sins!

Hey I have many Gateway and Acer products but I have never had to get support.

HP support was pretty good to me too. Had a humming issue with my 6910p's screen (like 3 weeks away from being out of warranty at the time.) Told them that it had a little chassis damage near the fan, and they said that wouldn't be a problem. Overnighted me a box, and then they had it a day later. 3 days after that i had it back, good as new.

Dell on the other hand...

I came into this job with a lot of Gateway laptops. One of the motherboards go bad on them, I request a new one......2 weeks later, nothing. I Google and find out MPC (who Gateway sold their business line to) filed for bankruptcy.

Needless to say, I was a bit pissed.

Back