• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Walmart and Computer Componets

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Did any one else know about this? I knew they sold every thing, but geezzzz:chair: I dident know they sold computer componets.

http://www.walmart.com/cp/Computer-Components/1073804?fromPageCatId=3951&catNavId=3951

Yup just like the POS Overpriced Alienware (dell) garbage: stay away.

At one time it was the top of the line though not a Falcon it was up there but now they have been relegated to wally world.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dell-AAR2-1223CSB/15120477#Item+Description

Personally I buy only cheap keyboard and mouses, nothing else. Walmart is too pricey on components and even on clearance sale they are too pricey. One store in Lapeer still has external 60GB hard drive on sale for ... $60. I could get half a TB external drive for about that price. :screwy: Another store still has GeForce 5200FX in a very badly beaten box with very bad looking price tag ($50) :lol:

They have been selling computer components, just more of the lower end stuff usually. I would not buy from them though since the prices are not too great.

It is not Wal-Mart it is the business model and the blind masses who accept it and think it is better. Any working man who shops at walmart is shooting himself in the foot.

Well it seems better for people who don't know and what the hell newegg is and don't like ordering stuff online. I've fixed computers for people who didn't like that the parts, if defective, would require a longer turn around and money for return. Also the ability to get it shipped to the store near you and having the pretty lenient return policy at your disposal is a plus. The prices sure as hell beat the local computer store selling a 9800gtx+ for $350.

Well it seems better for people who don't know and what the hell newegg is and don't like ordering stuff online. I've fixed computers for people who didn't like that the parts, if defective, would require a longer turn around and money for return. Also the ability to get it shipped to the store near you and having the pretty lenient return policy at your disposal is a plus. The prices sure as hell beat the local computer store selling a 9800gtx+ for $350.

I can agree that a lot of mom and pop shops are over priced and that is not realizing what a sunk cost is. If they still have a 9800 they probably bought it when it was the greatest thing on earth and are just waiting for a sucker too come along to take it off their hands.

BB, staples and OD have reasonable prices if you need it now and BB price matches the EGG.

^ Haha, it's probably since they bought it around that price and do not want to lose money on what they paid for. Sadly though this is why a lot of the computer mom and pop stores are dying out, it is hard to push the product with so many online competitors with great pricing.

Any working man who shops at walmart is shooting himself in the foot.

i am a working man and the things i buy there are cheaper than anywhere else... i'd be shooting myself in the foot for spending MORE for the same thing elsewhere. just because you don't agree with how they run THEIR business is your prob.

if they have the same parts there for the same price as newegg the only thing holding me back from buying from wally world is that i would have to pay sales tax at walmart. once the Feds force sales tax on internet sales there is no point in ordering anymore.

i am a working man and the things i buy there are cheaper than anywhere else... i'd be shooting myself in the foot for spending MORE for the same thing elsewhere. just because you don't agree with how they run THEIR business is your prob.

if they have the same parts there for the same price as newegg the only thing holding me back from buying from wally world is that i would have to pay sales tax at walmart. once the Feds force sales tax on Internet sales there is no point in ordering anymore.

Not trying to start a debate here but there are a few things you may or may not know. I don't like the business model wally world got going after Sam died. It was roughly the same with one exception: they did not care about where they came from.

I am not saying anyone else is better because pretty much the entire retail sector has followed suit and it is because of cheap skates. I am not rich but there is something said about buying things one time.

Sure Wal-Mart may sell a lawn mower for cheaper (10-20 bucks) than Lowes but even if it looks the same it may not be. Wheels are made of a different plastic, the deck and fly wheel cover may be lighter guage, some of the electronic components may be sub standard.................. Hell it does not matter if you want to replace your mover ever couple of years I mean we have a disposable economy. Hey have you noticed Jeans nuts don't last like they used too? If they last a year they still need to go in the trash because that have shrunk. Hell I have old faded jeans that still fit but they are falling apart but the thing is I got 4 times the mileage out of them.

It is a very big issue and when Americans complain about jobs and shrinking incomes they just need to look in the mirror.

http://www.domain-b.com/companies/companies_w/wal_mart/20071130_beijing.html I wonder who is demanding these products? Chins is even coming down on this crap.

Last edited:
My 2 cents to this is I find that often (not always) Walmart sells B-stock goods. I've purchased some select national brand grocery items and have noticed they aren't of the same quality as the same item in regular grocery stores. For example, V8 tomato juice is a touch more watery from Walmart, but $1 less than other stores.

If you look at TJ, Max, Marshalls, etc, those stores sell random B-stock clothing and random surplus goods. That's their business model, and if you know going in to look for extra strings and bad stitching on clothing, and are fine with that, no problem.

Personally I buy only cheap keyboard and mouses, nothing else. Walmart is too pricey on components and even on clearance sale they are too pricey. One store in Lapeer still has external 60GB hard drive on sale for ... $60. I could get half a TB external drive for about that price. :screwy: Another store still has GeForce 5200FX in a very badly beaten box with very bad looking price tag ($50) :lol:

Or you could get a 1TB internal for that price :)

I got my mouse at Walmart for $30. Later found it on newegg for $18. Eitherway, i consider it worth the $30, as it's the first mouse i've had that didn't die in a year.

"Not Sold in Stores" hmmmm So if it still needs to get shipped, why not just go tigerdirect or newegg.

Of course they will have it listed on Walmart's website, but coming from somebody with distribution experience they probably "drop-ship" from Newegg or something anyway.....

Poop, If I wanted to I could probably just mark everything Newegg sells up 10% and list it on my website hehehe, when I get my money from the
coustomer I just order the stuff from newegg, have them ship it to the coustomer! ahahha Thats how that works.

Last edited:
Or you could get a 1TB internal for that price :)

I got my mouse at Walmart for $30. Later found it on newegg for $18. Eitherway, i consider it worth the $30, as it's the first mouse i've had that didn't die in a year.

Was the Newegg one a bare mouse? Newegg is able to be more competitive thanks to the lack of fancy thick cut your fingers packaging on much of their parts.

Back