• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Talk me into TH7II

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Maggot

Registered
I'm serious. Please tell me or link me to a comparison between the Abit and Asus i850 mobo and how they OC.

This is the story:

"There are two versions of the P4T-E, both of which share the same revision. The newest version uses ICS brand 9212-13 DRCGs, while the
older uses CYP 632081 DRCGs. With few exceptions, only the boards with the ICS chips achieve stable operation at 533FSB and above. There
are two DRCG chips on each board, located near the RAM slots.
Before buying a board, attempt to confirm with the vendor that the two chips located near the RAM slots have "ICS" (and not CYP) listed on
them; that will ensure that 533+MHz memory is supported. See the green area of the screenshot below for help on locating the two DRCG
chips:" -KenF, from Asusboards.com

My New P4TE, Just arrived from Googlegear 2 days ago has the CYP chips which will not exceed 400 MHz -even when the P4 533s come out in a few months. So I'm upset. I must return this mobo and discover how to minimize the risk that another mail ordered P4Te also has this limitation- not an easy think to ask the vendor to check the writing on these 4 x 8 mm chips. No data exists on SN corrolation and there are no diffs in product version. Large vendors like newegg * mwave have already declared that they won't look for chip diffs.

Lucky enuf to have the ICS clock gen? Good: then decide if you plan to OC since that'll mean using the DIP switches on the P4TE to get the clock dividers for AGP & PCI which bypasses BIOS control of Vcore.
The "pin trick" then becomes a necessity.

I won't need much convincing to choose a different mobo to OC my 1.8A
and my 3A (next year): Please try! Abit seems appealing.

Thanks, Maggot

damn it :(

I ordered 2 TI 533mhz rambus drgc's for my th7II.
My board just arrived and i noticed that i have those ICS parts..
I hope those ICS chips are flaky at 533, else i have burnt another $40 :(

But the bright side is - i don't have solder anything ;)

Re: caater

shadow said:
where you buy your TH7II from? and when?

From Helsinki, Finland, at Tuesday...

But anyway.. i have problems now with this mobo and p4 1.6a
I suspect that it needs bios update.. i must find someone with s478 p4 or with abit mobo for bios hot-swapping...
damn..

you need to a update the BIOS for the new northwoods, Abits download section on their site is back online

Yeah, i know.
But i have to first solve this problem - how to flash bios when machine does not POST?

have you tried:

1) clearing CMOS
2) setting jumpers back to default
3) let it sit for a while then try again

other than that there are a bunch of places which will sell and program Bios chips one I think is actually in your neck of the woods....

bootable disk

4) bootable disk with flash utility and bin, and a line in the autoexec.bat to run them

I have read alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit and that POST code error 29 is common problem with th7II and northwood CPU. Bios needs to be updated.

I have solved now this issue.. i went to local computer shop and they flashed bios to a newer one. now it's ok.
However, it's odd, that none of th7II boards worked initially with 1.6A but all liked northwood 2.2..

But hell yeah... currently my 1.6A sits at 2450Mhz @ 1.7V. I tested also memory, it did 560Mhz stable :)

Hahahah\ /
Shadow OO, it's your protege, little Shadow. Who has a sense of humor. (I hope).

Caater, I'm glad you got your setup working. That's a pretty good OC for the 1.6.

PROTEGE!!!!

why do I have to be his protege!!!??? Just cuz I wasn't on this board before him does not make me his protege!!! I want a lawyer!! This is not fair!!! :mad:

:p

why do I have to be his protege!!!??? Just cuz I wasn't on this board before him does not make me his protege!!! I want a lawyer!! This is not fair!!!

Well, actually if you read the forum rules #16, Section C, Paragraph 2 it Reads: " All users who enter forum under Previously held user name by any user who has made more than 25 Posts Must be referred to as the Previously stated existing user's Protege. In addition, any attempt to modify a user name by adding or subtracting numbers or symbols in order to try and exempt yourself from this rule will result in the new user being called "Little (Existing User Name) Protege".

So you see you must now be called Little Shadow's Protege.
Sorry to break it to ya like that but thems the rules.

Back