• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit BE6 II v2.0 owners.......

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PsycoPhreak

Abit BE6 II v2.0 owners..ANOTHER BIOS!

OK folks, I been at it again, Highpoint released another update to their RAID controllers..this time its version "2.31"...

Since they released a new bios, i felt the need to once again update the bios for the BE6 II ( since ABIT don't like to do it )....I also added in a new "Overclockers.com" EPA logo...( thats the "energy star" logo you see up in the top right corner at post..in case anyone was wondering ) the drivers can be DL'ed from Highpoints site and the new GUI looks pretty good also...ENJOY!

Get it here! <~~~file is gone, i will post another when highpoint releases a new BIOS!

To bad this couldn't get a "stickey"...because as long as Highpoint keeps updating the bios for the HPT370 RAID controller, I'll keep updating the BE6 bios to reflect the changes.....

Last edited:
wow, i'm surprised, last time i posted a new bios, people were all over it....now...nada....oh well..its here anyway.....^^^bump

The post screen wasn't hard to change..(although I wouldn't recommend anyone without the proper experience to change it because it can make the screen unviewable)..I just changed the logo that is stored in the bios file..( Award "modular" bios is just that...it's made up of different 'modules", you can change one..or all if needed)

As for the software, yes, there is indeed software that can be downloaded..(although hard to find) to modify the bios and reveal hidden settings. I have modified the bios to show whatever there is to show, but unfortunately, nothing very important, just 2 settings..."auto detect dimm/pci clock" and "daylight savings time" both of which just have an 'enable/disable" switch.

I'm running this bios right now and the 2.31 bios for the HPT370 controller were worth it....I got a speed increase on my RAID throughput, not alot, but any increase in speed is good. Also it seems to be more stable....older version I lost my RAID config a few times...this one has seen a massive lockup without loosing the RAID...( any lockups before and my RAID config was gone)

PS. If anyone has, or is going to DL it...let me know what you think, I won't continue to post updates if no one's gonna use em...:D

Thanks

I flashed it and I like the OC.com logo :) 2.31 works like a charm, my raid array created with 1.0.3b seems to like 2.31 better too. With 2.30, sometimes my raid array is not detected from a cold boot.

Keep up the good work and keep the modified bios coming :)

going to be removing the file in 5 days, if you want it...get it while ya still can...:D

From what responses I've gotten, people who have a bx133 had no problem with it at all, the board is the same as the BE6 II just socket version, I don't own one, so I don't know for sure.

but the bios file on abit's site is the same one for both boards, so it should work no problem...:D

hmm...there is only one place that i know of that goes into detail about how to do this, there might be others.....

http://www.biosmods.com

I'd try and explain it, but untill I'm off my meds, I can't promise that i'd explain it right...lol

Psyco,
How do I know if the bios I installed updated the raid bios and what else do I need to do to the raid setup like updating the drivers and GUI?? what is that. also, If I've already created an array do I have to do it again after the bios and driver update!!

Trainwreck said:
Psyco,
How do I know if the bios I installed updated the raid bios and what else do I need to do to the raid setup like updating the drivers and GUI?? what is that. also, If I've already created an array do I have to do it again after the bios and driver update!!

When you start up your PC, after normal post, the Highpoint Raid controller bios screen comes up. Up in the top right corner of this screen, it displays the bios version of the Highpoint controller, what ever version it says, thats the driver you should be using ( which can be DLed from highpoints site... http://www.highpoint-tech.com/drivers.htm )

The GUI is a windows interface that allows the creation and managment of arrays under windows, the version of this should also be the closest to your bios version...

If you already have an array set up and want to update the Raid bios, normally the array should be fine, but I have had some rare times where i had to redo the array as it wasn't recognised with an update, but that was with the 1.0.3b version bios.....

thanks, that was very informative I was worried that I would lose my hd info every time I updated One other question you might be able to answer in my other post about the flashing of my biosHERE

I looked at your other post, if you rename the BIN file to that of the original that came with the software, it'll work fine...:D

thanks again are there any advantages or disadvantages to doing it this way . by the way thanks for the update great work!

the advantage to using the "bat" file are that you don't have to run the program and add any switches and so forth, the disadvantage is that you don't have control over what the program does.....it's a matter of preference and ease of use really...

Thanks for the great feedback, i'll continue to provide updates of the bios as long as Highpint keeps cranking out new bios versions for the controller...:D

HPT Bios Update

PsycoPhreak,
Unfortunately, I didn't get here in time to get the update, but I just recently added a Seagate Barracuda IV that has had problems with the older Windows XP driver (a known problem). I've updated the Windows driver (to 2.0.1019), which seems to have fixed the problem while in Windows, but it's still taking a long time to get to the Windows logon. I'm thinking that updating the controller bios version will help this. To that end, I've been trying to figure out how to do so for our onboard controllers. Have been all over the Abit and HighPoint site where I did find forum posts suggesting that it can be done with the downloaded bios versions and the supplied load utility...the following is an excerpt from one of the posts:

"I had exactly the same problem and the only thing that solved it was a call to Abit tech support.

This is what they told me and what proved to be correct. The Bios (like it says on the site) and driver version do not need to be coincident in the case of an onboard controller, like we have on our KT7's. So that contradicts what is written on Abit's web site, but it is true that it works.

Upgrade to the latest Bios if you haven't already, because you won't even be able to get XP to start with the 4A bios or lower. The latest is A9 with embedded highpoint ver 1.11.0402.

Second, and this was in reaction to my having even suggested that the 2.0.1019 highpoint driver was a viable XP driver and to which the all wise and knowing tech responded:

No no no....that is not an XP driver!!! I then suggested the 2.31 and 2.32 versions listed on the site and he illuminated once again, "ahhh no not really. You need the 2.34 version, that is what most of my Abit disciples have been using. "

Again he told me that the warnings on highpoint technologies web site about needing to go to the motherboard manufacturer's site in the case of an onboard controller is just not true. Don't believe the hype, and he recommened downloading the 2.34 driver. This driver comes packaged in a multi-os bundle. This driver comes packaged in a multi-os bundle, so there is really only one choice:
http://www.highpoint-tech.com/370drivers_down.htm

After you download this and after you have updated the Bios (BE VERY CAREFUL OF COURSE)
then reformat the drive or delete everything on it (accept important files) and begin a clean install by booting from the Windows XP install disk -- you might need to change the boot sequence in the bios."

I came back to the Overclockers forum, where I once again crossed paths with one of your posts...The only place where such updates seem to exist (thank God you're still doing this).

So....
1) Is there a any credence to the Abit site post? i.e. Can the Highpoint bios updated be done independently [with their load utility] of an Abit bios update?
2) If the answer to #1 is no, can I ask that you post the Abit bios update with the latest HPT bios version?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

HPT Bios Update Success!

A little more persistence has paid off. Thought I'd leave this for future reference....

The following are the steps I took to update the HighPoint controller bios for my BE6-II v2 mb, without a new bios released from Abit.

1. Download and unzip the appropriate cbrom program (e.g. cbrom215.exe) and associated program files to a bootable floppy from http://www.stormpages.com/crazyape/cbrom.html

2. Download and unzip the latest HighPoint bios (e.g. bios372.234) to the bootable floppy from http://www.highpoint-tech.com

3. Download and unzip the latest Abit bios (e.g. ber_72.bin) to the same bootable floppy from http://www.abit-usa.com/downloads/bios/

4. Insert the bootable floppy and boot to a DOS prompt

5. Using the examples above, type cbrom215.exe a:\ber_72.bin /pci release You should get a confirmation that the file was released.

6. Then type cbrom215.exe a:\ber_72.bin /pci bios372.234 You should get a confirmation that the new HPT bios was added.

7. Then type cbrom215.exe ber_72.bin /d - This will show all files in your bios and should confirm that the new HPT bios has been applied to the PCI section.

8. Copy the newly updated bin file to your mb bios flash disk and flash away.

It was that easy. I updated my BE6-II v2 from HPT 370/372 bios version 2.0.1024 to 2.34 and all is well with my Seagate Barracuda IV.

A word of caution: Conventional wisdom should be used regarding the mb flash process. i.e. Take appropriate precautions to provide for mb and HPT bios recovery if something gets screwed up. Also, as in my case, this will get the troubled hard drive to the Windows logon…How well it does while in Windows will still depend on the associated Windows driver for the HPT controller. And obviously, you pass at your own risk.

A note of gratitude is given to PsychoPhreak and cdier for the tips that lead me to this solution.

Back