• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NewEgg: bait and switch?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

So I ordered this Apevia 600W PSU (yes, I know its a piece of junk but that's beside the point) from Egg which was adverstised on their web page for $29.99 with a $20 rebate offer from Apevia. That would make the final cost to be $9.99. The only problem is, Egg sent the PSU wrapped in bubble wrap, not in a retail box. It was not advertised as "OEM". The Apevia rebate form requires "an original UPC seal" to be included with the rebate form, however. I've emailed Egg for an explanation for this discrepancy.

Anyone ever run into this before?

I've run into some definite discrepancies with Newegg before. Like the brand of an optical drive or keyboard clearly not the brand that was given to me. Like I ordered a name brand DVD burner and name brand keyboard on separate occasions, yet was sent comparable no-name parts. I figured it wasn't worth the effort if the products worked.

Update: I checked the customer reviews and another person expressed the same concern. NewEgg included a response to him that indicated Apevia was aware of the problem and would accept the rebate application without the original UPC of the applicant included a note or if they used the UPC sticker that is pasted on the plastic bag the unit shipped in as an alternate to the normal one on the retail box. I wanted to clear NewEgg on this issue. Apparently, it was a goof by Apevia, not NewEgg.

Now that you mention it, I've had this happen a couple of times. However, I keep most shipping stuff for a period of time, and I've found PCUs on the shipping boxes. I've never had a rebate go bad because of this, though.

I dont like the way new egg does rebate at all, it would be far simpler if they just sent a form with item ordered or online fillout/submit form, instead you have to fillout a form + ton of other stuff i didnt even bothered with it for $20 rebates on corsair psu and gtx570, now i dont even look at newegg rebates as discount, not to mention if you do get everything right and send it, it takes months to receive refund

I dont like the way new egg does rebate at all, it would be far simpler if they just sent a form with item ordered or online fillout/submit form, instead you have to fillout a form + ton of other stuff i didnt even bothered with it for $20 rebates on corsair psu and gtx570, now i dont even look at newegg rebates as discount, not to mention if you do get everything right and send it, it takes months to receive refund
I don't think that newegg defines the rebate process, I think its the manufacturers. There are very few people who like the whole setup, but manufacturers are able to get weak-selling products pushed a bit to inflate their sales totals and move product. Then they make the rebate process so crappy and time-consuming that most people even forget they had posted for rebates. Every site that does rebates is subject to the same kind of crap.

I don't think that newegg defines the rebate process, I think its the manufacturers. There are very few people who like the whole setup, but manufacturers are able to get weak-selling products pushed a bit to inflate their sales totals and move product. Then they make the rebate process so crappy and time-consuming that most people even forget they had posted for rebates. Every site that does rebates is subject to the same kind of crap.

I think you nailed it. Companies are betting that the rebate causes people to buy the product in the first place and once they realize how much trouble the rebate is worth, they don't bother sending it in.

I think you nailed it. Companies are betting that the rebate causes people to buy the product in the first place and once they realize how much trouble the rebate is worth, they don't bother sending it in.

I think if you asked them, they would be silly not to admit that this is what they expect... LOL

Too be fair, NewEgg has gotten allot better on there insistence on quality rebates. So if you do use a Rebate, they will make sure you get it. In the past, and for allot of other companies, rebates are accepted in the front door, and thrown out in the back.

I've only sent one MIR into the manufacturer in my life, a $50 rebate on an HP laptop. Most of them I don't even bother with.

Back