• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Low power/Economical server CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kaltag

The old Atom 330 server has performed admirably for several years now but it's load is starting to exceed it's capability a bit. My main goal is to use a dual core, low wattage, CPU and keep it as close as I can to the atom wattage ( I know I'll never get that low, just wanna see how low I can get.) I plan on undervolting and maybe some underclocking. I am trying to choose between an AMD or Intel ITX system.

I was looking at these for the AMD platform:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813500045
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103933

And this for the Intel:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813500044
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116348

The price difference is negligible but I'm not sure about performance or undervolting/underclocking capability. I'm curious what the community's opinion is. Thank you.

I've just started getting into this stuff, and accordingly, I just picked up this. I really haven't played with it enough yet to give you an honest opinion on its track record, but it is, at least, a dual core.

The Core2Duo's are (or can be) extremely efficient - I think that would be a pretty good option. You might get one in the classifieds for a lot cheaper than you could find one new. There's a couple good options in there right now, in fact. You might even consider going to a quad if you can downlock and undervolt it. Four cores at 2.0GHz would serve you a lot better than two at 2.5GHz.

The LGA775 board you picked out seems like it sucks, though. Make sure you get something with voltage adjustment also. I couldn't tell if the Zotac one you linked to allows it or not...

I think a quad would be extreme overkill right now. The average load right now rarely exceeds 10%. It's just on the rare occasion when I'm doing streaming transcoding of MP3s or HD content that it starts to hiccup. I have found it's difficult to find a board that specifically mentions if it can UNDERvolt. They almost all mention upward adjustment but not below stock. Both my current boards for example only allow upward adjustments.

EDIT: I have been looking at the new Atoms and that foxconn board looks nice and is similar to the msi N330 I have now, but, I need 4 SATA ports and I'm not sure the 1.8Ghz would be enough to handle the live HD transcoding. I also like the idea of hardware virtualization which both the AMD and Intel platforms offer. I have an E7300 from my old rig I was planning to sell but it could be re-purposed.

Last edited:
I should have asked - is this an HTPC? Is it running Windows? If it is, you might just be able to use an AMD Fusion platform. Performance is a bit above the Atom, and the integrated GPU is build for HTPC-like things.

I should have asked - is this an HTPC? Is it running Windows? If it is, you might just be able to use an AMD Fusion platform. Performance is a bit above the Atom, and the integrated GPU is build for HTPC-like things.

It is not an HTPC and it runs Linux.

Server in continuous service since February, 2009:

Athlon 4850e (45w)/ MSI K9A2 (790x chipset)/4GB kingston RAM/CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX /Raptor 150GB OS drive/1TB RAID 1 storage array on promise controller/ Windows Server 2008 64-bit.

The machine works as a domain controller, SQL server and file server. It runs SQL synchronization routines, FTP synch utilities, acts as a weather station data server and does file synchronization with network machines and backup drives. The system, like the rest of the home/office, is powered 100% by solar energy. Performance has always been excellent.

If I were building a machine today, I'd opt for an Athon 270u. Hard to beat in terms of thermal power design at 25 Watts for a 2Ghz dual-core 2MB cache Athlon.

I'm not sure...if media playback isn't a priority, I wouldn't upgrade from an Atom to a Fusion for raw CPU power. Seems like a pretty minor improvement for the inconvenience and cost of upgrading. I'd go for at least a Core2 type CPU. The Athlon II 270u hafa linked to looks pretty sweet. I'll have to keep AMD in mind for things like this.

Back