• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Order of XP install?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gone_fishin

BandSaw King
Order of XP install onTH7II-Raid?

I have the Abit TH7II-Raid motherboard.
Here's my logical order of install so far,
1) flash Bios
2)Install updated Hpt driver at F6 prompt
3)continue XP cd install and reboot

After I install windows XP what is the next step? Do I run windows update first as Abit "suggestion" from their website instructions or do I install the Intel INF and Intel Application Accelerator first and then do the windows update?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Last edited:
I think I would install the inf drivers first....during a recent reinstall of w2k, I think the install process hosed my dvd drive...which was the only cd in the machine...and it would make terrible slapping noises during install, and I think it was the lack of inf drivers. I heard the same noises the 1st time I loaded w2k, and I forgot to install the INF's first that time also. When the install was finished, I rebooted, and went to install Norton A.V. 2001, and the drive kept saying that there was no cd in the drive, and I tried other cd's as well...it could be the drive was ready to go, or the continued thrashing hosed it, but I had to temporary rob a cd drive out another machine to complete the reinstall of all the essentials like modem sound vid drivers. Luckily it didn't hose my other drive which is a cdrw.
Here's hoping your install goes smoothly without any hiccups:)

Thanks DocClock, I'll follow your advice.

I could use an opinion on my hard drive also. I need to know which hard drive I should boot from. I have a one year old IBM 45Gb U100, 7200rpm drive which is rated at 8.5ms seek time. I also have a brand new WD Caviar 400BB, 40Gb, U100, 7200rpm drive which is rated at 9ms seek time. Now the IBM is a year old but I never had a problem with it (I did not use it as a boot drive) and has a better seek time rating. The WD has never been used yet but I've read a few complaints of them crapping out. I'm pretty sure Raid 0 is out of the question because they are not identical, or am I wrong?

Back