• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need an ITX/CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Archer0915

"The Expert"
I need a CPU that is low voltage and cool. I want passive cooling and for my purposes even an Atom with ION GFX would work. I have been looking at another E350 setup but I want passive cooling. This will be going in a harsh environment (Conversion Van above the driver) and I don't want to kill it.

My current server is an atom n330 dual core 1.6Ghz and I have been pretty happy with it. There is no fan on the heatsink but there is 1x120mm@7v fan on the side of the case blowing across the whole board. It idles around 45C load I think.

If it's going to be in a van during the summer, you may want to have an entirely passive system, but then have a single fan that can kick on if it gets extremely hot in the van for some reason.

What are you aiming to do with this?

My current server is an atom n330 dual core 1.6Ghz and I have been pretty happy with it. There is no fan on the heatsink but there is 1x120mm@7v fan on the side of the case blowing across the whole board. It idles around 45C load I think.

Well I have about a five cubic foot compartment above the driver area that is completely enclosed. The roof is fiberglass bit it still gets hot and recieves absolutely no cooling. A fan would be great but it would only circulate hotttt air. I suppose I could mod the lower panel for a 200MM filtered intake with a passive exhaust into the rear passenger compartment.

What kind of clocking options are there on your board and can you DA HTT?

If it's going to be in a van during the summer, you may want to have an entirely passive system, but then have a single fan that can kick on if it gets extremely hot in the van for some reason.

What are you aiming to do with this?

Video playback for the passengers.

Well I have about a five cubic foot compartment above the driver area that is completely enclosed. The roof is fiberglass bit it still gets hot and recieves absolutely no cooling. A fan would be great but it would only circulate hotttt air. I suppose I could mod the lower panel for a 200MM filtered intake with a passive exhaust into the rear passenger compartment.

What kind of clocking options are there on your board and can you DA HTT?

Mine does not offer any kind of over/underclocking options. It' an industrial design board with about 8 serial ports. I also mis-typed my previous load/idle temp, sorry. It idles around 34 load is around 45 with the crappy aluminum sink. If you could get a large copper sink on there it should be able to handle just about anything.

It sounds like an Atom with a decent copper heatsink would be perfect for what you're doing. I think a 200MM fan would be overkill, but a 80MM should do fine, and you can still find pretty quiet ones. Even if it gets up to 95F ambient up there, you don't need to move much air to keep an Atom cool. My laptop will stay below 90C under Prime 95 on a 95F day here, and it uses 10x the power of most Atoms.

My parent's HTPC is an Atom Ion (atom 330, dual core), the whole enclosure has one 60mm (50mm?) fan circulating air, no fan on the heatsink.
It runs nice and cool despite that.

Atom is definitely the way to go IMO.

Sounds like I may go with the Atom as the AMD solution is overkill I think.

I need a CPU that is low voltage and cool. I want passive cooling and for my purposes even an Atom with ION GFX would work. I have been looking at another E350 setup but I want passive cooling. This will be going in a harsh environment (Conversion Van above the driver) and I don't want to kill it.

there are choices for passive E350 setups...
ECS HDC-I2(1.0) AMD E-350
ASUS E35M1-I AMD E-350
Foxconn AHD1S-K AMD E-350 APU
ASUS E35M1-M PRO AMD E-350 mATX
ASUS E35M1-I DELUXE AMD E-350

i would suggest a E350 first for something like this then a Atom+ion setup. if you are going to have some kind of fan to move air then go with the atom+ion then. i only say the E350 since the gpu will run cooler then the ION.

there are choices for passive E350 setups...
ECS HDC-I2(1.0) AMD E-350
ASUS E35M1-I AMD E-350
Foxconn AHD1S-K AMD E-350 APU
ASUS E35M1-M PRO AMD E-350 mATX
ASUS E35M1-I DELUXE AMD E-350

i would suggest a E350 first for something like this then a Atom+ion setup. if you are going to have some kind of fan to move air then go with the atom+ion then. i only say the E350 since the gpu will run cooler then the ION.

Two of those caught my eye. The Foxconn and the last asus have much better HSF designs. The surface area on those is awesome and should allow for some good passive cooling. So it may just be doing some numbers and reading some reviews.

did you choose one yet archer?

No the wife redirected my priorities:( I wanted to get this done before vacation so I could bring along the movie library without running my external drive through the laptop and to the TV (I hate hanging wires). I guess it will have to wait till the fall but I am looking.

Back