• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Socket 775 Upgrade even worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MortalMan

Overclocked a Computer Submerged, In Horse Laxativ
So I have an E8500 dual core processor overclocked to 3.8ghz. I was looking into buying a quad core processor for the same socket so I don't have to buy a new motherboard and well it seems for just the processor it cost well over $300 for a quad core.

Here's the catch; I can buy a motherboard/cpu combo for well under $200. I know there from AMD, but it would still be faster and cheaper then buying just a socket 775 quadcore intel processor.

Why would socket 775 processors still cost so much when there 3 or 4 generations behind the latest intel processor? When can I expect to see the price drop for these things?

See if you can find a cheap second hand core 2 quad.

It's often the case that old technology is still very expensive. Eg. i7 920 is more expensive than 2600K.

a few months ago i was looking to do this same thing. throw some new life at my current C2D rig by putting a quad core cpu in it. i was looking to get a q9650 but not for $330 or it's Xeon equivalent.

i keep checking but the prices are still too high for my liking even on ebay.

You will need to look for used C2Qs... Brand new; they're still too expensive to be worth it going that way...

But if you do your due diligence and check on all the enthusiast boards out there that have "For Sale" sections; you will find one for sure. I found a Q6600 for $85 not long ago. :D

Yep as others said just keep your eyes on the various classified/fs//ft sections on different message boards and you will find one probably in a week or less.

I'm currently in the same situation, but after checking out the reviews and seeing that the quad cores don't actually give better gaming performance I've decided to just save up and go with a complete re-build when I have the $.

Look at pricewatch.com...they will show some good deals on "pulls" and new stuff.

I just looked, and they are showing a Q6600 for $159.00 U.S. There are other links to the same one for $209.00

When you go to pricewatch, just click on the cpu link, and it will present you with a page where you can choose by model # or socket type....and there are lots to choose from.
Whether upgrading to the quad will give you any advantages over the dual core depends on what software you run and if it can take advantage of the extra two cores. I like my Q6600, and when I work, the computers that I run at work all have Q6600's and it is a joy to have a computer that is snappy to work with.
Good Luck,
Doc

Back