• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

It appears Intel is lowing prices on Cedar Trail Atoms.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TsunamiJuan

It looks like Intel might be cutting prices up to half on the new Atom Cpu's. heres a link to the article.

http://www.reghardware.com/2011/05/26/intel_atom_cedar_trail_price_fall/

Personally I love the atoms for a select area of deployment. I gave a few of my family members systems built around them. The small, quiet, low power consumption and small footprint systems seem to be love by them. I even have a couple of small file servers that are built with them on my home network.

A lot of companies like them aswell. They have a great price point for a complete system. Depending on demand they can be more than enough in a lot of circumstances.

are Atom cpu's capable of running HD, or even Full HD videos? just curious if ever going to build a small quiet cheap HTPC in the future.

I've ran Blue Ray resolution streams on them without problems (dual core hyper threaded models) without problems. If you get a nvidia Ion chipset based atom system you can game fairly well on them aswell. Ion's basicly run a 9600 series gpu.

They're pretty strong little systems most of the 500 series cpu's use ddr3 aswell. Most of the desktop Atom systems are a little bit higher power consumption than a netbook (The bulk of netbooks still use single core atoms, though there are some dual cores). They have a 40-60watt power consumption.

Most of them handle Ambient cooling well. The bulk of motherboards out there dont even have fan's on the cpu's. Just large surface area heatsinks.

are Atom cpu's capable of running HD, or even Full HD videos? just curious if ever going to build a small quiet cheap HTPC in the future.

about the only way to get atom to be able to handle HD resolutions is to either use MPC after re-encoding your movies from BD. You get a system that has ION on it for striaght up BD streaming.
http://www.nextlevelhardware.com/cpu/atom/

the newer atoms vs what i reviewed there, do not add much power cpu wise. if anything they were able to cut power usage a bit but have a higher TDP due to the on package video. one thing you will notice even with a ATI 2400pro it did not do BD streaming or decoding or H264 decoding. according to ATI the pci buss isnt good enough for being able to do that, they didnt exactly put it that way. it was the way it came across in the email i got from them. it is ironic though you could get the NV 9400/9500GT in pci and have it handle H264 with out any problem.

Back