• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

THinking of going to intel????????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JamesFtw

Registered
Hi currently running AMD 965 be at 3.6 and ATI 5870 but for some reason i got a feeling my cpu is bottleknecking my gpu so is it worth the money to swap my MoBo and CPU for future games like bf3 because when that came out i was gonna get a 6990 or another 5870 as my mobo supports crossfire x16?
An y help would be great cheers,

I don't dare saying anything anymore... (Hey Archer?:D)

+1 wait for BD, should not be long.

what resolution do you play at and what other settings do you use, ie AA/AF?

Problem is by the time BD comes out, it will already be dated and probably be top CPU for a couple weeks till the next batch of Intel processors come out.

BD is running too late, it should be out now, not later.

First things first..

1. Nobody knows when BD will come out.
2. Nobody knows if it will even take the crown from Intel either...well nobody except Twoosh above me. :p
3. Im sure your rig is fine and not holding back that 5870 (but will with 2 5870's). Hold off until as long as you can, then see what is available at that time. If you cant wait or dont want to wait. SB chips are the best available.

I run 1920x1080 with 16xaf and 8xmsaa on bfbc2 and it rubes at 50-90 fps then crysis i run 1440x900 high settings at 25-40 fps. Im thinking of buying a new car then saving till october/november when bf3 comes out then getting some new proccessor then?

First things first..

2. Nobody knows if it will even take the crown from Intel either...well nobody except Twoosh above me. :p
3. Im sure your rig is fine and not holding back that 5870 (but will with 2 5870's). Hold off until as long as you can, then see what is available at that time. If you cant wait or dont want to wait. SB chips are the best available.

Yes i was looking at a SB bundle withi7 2600k sabertooth something mobo and 8gb vengeance ram for 460quid but prolly hold on till cliser to bf3 release date

well your low fps is not because of the cpu, the resolution your playing at is putting all the work on the GPU. if your using the same aa/af on crysis even at that res, yea its going to be low fps.

new GPU first then later on get a new cpu...

Will my 965 i managed to oc to 3.8 bottlekneck a 6990? If so what is minimum amd and intel cpu for that card?

it is possible since it is a dual gpu on a single card... i would hold on to what you have for a bit, save up and replace all of it at once. the 5000 is going to be more then enough, just tone some of the settings back.

I don't dare saying anything anymore... (Hey Archer?:D)

+1 wait for BD, should not be long.

Hey I recomended you get the Intel rig you have now:thup:

First things first..

I agree. Even if BD is a monster it is not supposed to be a killer and I still think the SB (at this point) is the way to go. I never wait when I am in need or in want. For me the 6 and 8 core processors are what I will be looking at when BD hits because I am looking at a lot of threads. I have an adequate CPU in my server at the moment but that will change when I add an uplink HUB and 3-5 more hard wired units.

As far as your usage I think SB will be the way to go. For many games the current CPUs are neck and neck but for others the SB is way ahead and I don't see the BD having too much impact on that. As a matter of fact the point is being reached with the SB that the video cards are the bottle neck again, in single card application, so even if BD trounces the SB you may see no real gain from it in games.

Last edited:
@archer: well, when I post this yesterday, I was thinking BD would be out this week:cool:

So yes, if in a hurry, or itchy, go SB, you won't be disapointed!

Back