• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading from P35/Q6600

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Revtek

Registered
Hello,

I am ready to upgrade my rig. I have everything except:

1. SSD
2. MB
3. RAM
4. CPU

I plan on using my current case, PS, GPU, HSF and my budget is $500. Not sure if I should be going i5/i7 or AMD route this go around...

All suggestions are welcomed! :p

I do have the NOVA Microcenter right by me...

Ok, will hold off on SSD and go with the $280 i7 2600k. Since I am over budget anyway, should I go with 8GB vs the 4GB of RAM?

The $285 price at microcenter should put you at budget no ($485 was my math)?

I would say no on the 8GB... I dont use all of my 4GB. Depends on your uses though.

Video editing/gaming. What if I bumped the budget to $700?

$700 would give you more options and be better to work with for something like that.

Should I go with 2500K since I'll be doing some OC with it? For the price, wouldn't that be my best route? Will I really see a performance loss versus running 2600K at stock? Does that extra 2 MB of cache justify the difference in price?

The 2500 is a very capable chip, but will lag slightly on non gaming tasks behind the 2600. Decide how much a few % faster encoding times means to you in terms of $$. And definitely go with 8GB of ram (2x4GB) if you are editing/encoding.

Ok, I can live with a fewer % encoding times since video editing is a hobby anyway. Also, since I am going with SSD now, perhaps the difference will not be as bad.

Let me know if you think this looks good:

RAM $99: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-17000CL11D-8GBXL

MB $159: ASRock P67 EXTREME4 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU $224: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K

SSD $235: Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC128MAG-1G1 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Total = ~$720

Thanks!

Try using this code for cheaper price if you are buying soon:

15% OFF All Desktop Memory - BTEKDKD32

Thx, I got that in my e-mail too. Does everything else look okay?

Ok, so instead of upgrading cpu/mobo/ram, I decided to just upgrade to SSD.

I went with this:
OCZ Vertex 3 VTX3-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

My board does not have SATA III but at least I can use this drive when I do upgrade later. I just hope I can get it to work.

I realized that for the games I play, LoL, LFD2, and the minimum amount of video editing, my system is still fine.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Quick question, however... Should I buy a SATA III Controller card and if so, can I first install win7 x64 on my native SATA II then add the SATA III Controller card w/o issues? Reason I ask is because the SSD will be in my hands on Friday and I haven't purchased the SATA III Controller card yet.

Just use it on your SATA 2 ports. It won't be at full speed, but you'll still notice a huge difference from using your magnetic drives.

Back