• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Oh, you ordered via 3 day? And there's a weekend?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CompuTamer

Member with Some Fancy Text Under His Name
/begin rant

... this is sad.

So, I order a monitor from Newegg on wednesday night. It sits in NJ for a day. An ENTIRE FREAKING DAY. It just sits there. Doing nothing. On UPS's time. Then they move it two hours down the road, where it sits for ANOTHER 20 hours. Then about 3 hours into Saturday, they put it on a truck to HOUSTON TEXAS! That's 9 hours PAST me.

I could have had my monitor had they just put it on a truck to Brandon or Tennessee. But no, that would get it here early, and we can't have early!

/end rant

Meh, I've learned that UPS will do whatever it takes to make sure a 3-day package will take no less than 3 days. I've had packages sit in California until 2am the third day and then magically be delivered to the east coast by 11. I guess some of that could just be due to funky tracking, but I'll spring for slightly faster shipping if I really need it.

Wednesday night normally means it wont even be in UPS's hands till Thursday morning, which would be the first day of a 3 Day Select package journey.

They can't ship it very far the first day because they have to leave room for all the packages that sat still the day before. :D

Pro tip: Never pay for expedited shipping unless it's overnight (and you have to have it).

Wednesday night normally means it wont even be in UPS's hands till Thursday morning, which would be the first day of a 3 Day Select package journey.

It didn't even move an inch in UPS' system until late Friday morning. I can understand Wednesday, but comeon! It's a pretty small box as far as things go. The drive could have put it in his seat next to him!

the mail system over here isnt to bad, i mean i order things with standard delivery at 6pm and they get here in the morning, this is without next day delivery and the nearest postal base is over a 2 mile stretch of sea. i dont know how it happens.

It didn't even move an inch in UPS' system until late Friday morning. I can understand Wednesday, but comeon! It's a pretty small box as far as things go. The drive could have put it in his seat next to him!
Is it possible that the times you are seeing are the time they PRINTED/purchased the stamp, but the package never got to the until the next day?

This happens when I purchase electronically through the post office. I buy the postage, get the 'stamp'. It will show today's date, but really isnt on its way until I drop the package off.

Either way, stuff happens like this all the time and threads pop up about this common occurance just as frequently. :rain:

Is it possible that the times you are seeing are the time they PRINTED/purchased the stamp, but the package never got to the until the next day?

This happens when I purchase electronically through the post office. I buy the postage, get the 'stamp'. It will show today's date, but really isnt on its way until I drop the package off.

Either way, stuff happens like this all the time and threads pop up about this common occurance just as frequently. :rain:

Yeah I used to load UPS trucks from 4am to 8am before my 8am to 4pm summer job in college.

I didn't answer the phones but people would be calling on packages that had "been there since yesterday" and hadn't even been picked up from the shipper by the 1st route truck yet.

My Brother in Law used to drive for UPS, and later worked as a dock supervisor, and he told me that if drivers make too good of time (as in show up early) they will be fined just as bad as if they are late. If a facility ships too soon, they get fined just as if they shipped too late.

UPS is all about ON TIME. Early is not on time just as late isn't.

I'm not taking up for them, simply explaining why things happen they way the do.

I mean I understand your frustration as it didnt get there when you wanted it to, but its still well within their 3 day shipping.

If you ordered Wednesday night (Im assuming it was after the cut-off time as you said night), it wouldnt ship until Thursday at the earliest. That would mean a Tuesday delivery. Even if it went out Wednesday night, you are looking at a Monday delivery. Neither of which is here yet....

I had something similiar happen with USPS (they had the package in Vegas, with a set delivery date of Saturday but that was only the 2nd day when priority is 2-3 days, they messed up the delivery and it got here Monday) and while it sucks its still within the shipping time you agreed upon when you chose it.

Now if its not here by Monday/Tuesday, then you have a legitimate gripe.

I suppose. It was a rant after all :)

Just irritated. This happens to me all the time. It can take them 3 days to get a box from Memphis Tennessee to Brandon Mississippi. I could drive up there, pick it up, and be back home in 6 hours.

Yeah, I hear ya. Nothing worse than when I order from Newegg and it takes 3 days to get here (and Im less than 4 hours from the Newegg CA warehouse. Happens alot. I just try to plan for it. If I want something, I do myself the favor and order on Sunday :)

should have ordered from Tigerdirect.com, their warehouse is in Chicago. I usually get my stuff next day when shipped ground hehe.

When getting something from Newegg on 3 day shipping UPS, if it ships from the NJ warehouse (I live in eastern PA), I have always gotten it within 24 hours of it showing up in UPS's tracking system.

When getting something from Newegg on 3 day shipping UPS, if it ships from the NJ warehouse (I live in eastern PA), I have always gotten it within 24 hours of it showing up in UPS's tracking system.

If you live in PA you are wasting money on anything other than ground from NJ

This is ups 'ground' shipping to 19087 PA

(then again I forgot they changed the delivery method to rural residential, they now "tender" the packages to USPS's local facility)

Recmap_0058.gif

Last edited:
My Brother in Law used to drive for UPS, and later worked as a dock supervisor, and he told me that if drivers make too good of time (as in show up early) they will be fined just as bad as if they are late. If a facility ships too soon, they get fined just as if they shipped too late.

UPS is all about ON TIME. Early is not on time just as late isn't.

I'm not taking up for them, simply explaining why things happen they way the do.

Well, kind of makes sense really. I do a decent amount of traveling and more than once I've made plans based on "OK, this package is arriving here at this time so I'll have to be there at that time". A package arriving a day or two early, while nice 95% of the time or more, could mean it's sitting outside for a day or two. Yeah I know, not the best idea, as a slight change or delay screws it all up.

Back