• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Not too happy with USPS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

torin3

I got a broken 32" LCD TV from my work for free because it was broken. Smelled like burning was the description from the IT guy. Took it home an popped it open and easily identified the shorted out transformer. I check around on Ebay and find one for a decent price with free first class mail shipping. I buy it and it is shipped in about 24 hours according to the tracking number they send me.

Now for my annoyance. It was accepted Tuesday morning in San Francisco. Nothing further update on the tracking info since then. Shows an expected delivery date of the 10th. :mad: :bang head

I don't know if it is lost, but I doubt it can be resolved soon enough to get a replacement tranformer to me in time to have it ready to go for the benching party next weekend.

USPS has tracking information that functions? I've always received the package before it shows they even have it in the system.

USPS has tracking information that functions? I've always received the package before it shows they even have it in the system.

I've had it show up before with the tracking only showing acceptance, but in the last year or their system seems to have had several upgrades to it. But in the cases it arrived before the tracking really kicked in, it was a reasonable shipping time. This one has been 4-5 shipping days for first class, which is longer than I'd expect.

I didn't know tracking was available for first class mail.

Yep, you pay for it at the post office when mailing, or I think they throw it in free when you use a stamps.com type account to generate the mailing label.

I usually get very good tracking with usps, then again once it enters Canada.

But the last package I recieved had terrible tracking. It showed when the parcel was accepted, it usually take about 8 days for a package to arrive, this one took 14 days, and there was no tracking updates thruout that time. I thought someone saw something they liked, and it just got "lost" in the mail.

USPS has probably the worst tracking system, but you expect that for the lower shipping price compared to Fedex and UPS. Both of those have great tracking info. From my experience only when I get stuff internationally is it reliable. Anything within the states is terrible.

the usps delivery confirmation system works pretty good from what i have used it on... usps is by far the quickest and cheapest for small items. never had an issue.

USPS has probably the worst tracking system, but you expect that for the lower shipping price compared to Fedex and UPS. Both of those have great tracking info. From my experience only when I get stuff internationally is it reliable. Anything within the states is terrible.

FWIW my experience too is that USPS package tracking is seriously flawed. Also, IMO UPS is faster and a good deal better about responding to claims a package was damaged in transit or has become mislaid. YMMV, of course.

- henry

Running through real quick:

Yes, it is delivery confirmation, but it does provide some tracking info, and the page says track and confirm.

Seller shipped me another one and it arrived today.

Original still at SF post office where it has been since June 7th.

Hmm maybe it is just held at the SF post office and you need to go there to release the hold. It is possible you need to sign for it.

Sender is in SF, I'm in PA. I'm not going to spend $500 or so to track down a $25 part that has most likely been lost for good.

There is delivery confirmation, and actual tracking. Tracking can only be added with more expensive shipping options. For instance, when sending something overseas. And it costs a lot more.

I sent something to Tokyo for $10, when it would have cost me $40 just to get tracking. Really no difference in shipping times. Other side of the world for $10, in four days! UPS and Fedex wanted $100+ for 7-10 day...

Everyone on ebay uses DC just as proof of shipment. There are massive loopholes. Although through hundreds of transactions on ebay, I can say that most people are honest, and the system works 99% of the time. Ive only had one lost package and it was a misdelivery to a neighbor who apparently wasn't very honest.

I'm actually a huge fan of the USPS now. But the DC/tracking misunderstanding is common.

Back