• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How likely is it that my cpu is fried?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

marketpantry

So july of last her my computer started acting up and the motherboard died. I just checked the graphics card and it may have fried as well. do cpus fry often when the motherboard goes out?

i would think its possible as its all conected but
no good guessing only way to find out is to test it :( good luck hope it hasnt damaged it

Pretty unlikely. You didn't really expand on how the board "fried" but CPUs are pretty tough to kill.

i would think its possible as its all conected but
no good guessing only way to find out is to test it :( good luck hope it hasnt damaged it

Pretty unlikely. You didn't really expand on how the board "fried" but CPUs are pretty tough to kill.

i figured out hoe to remove the cpu. are there any signs i can look at on a looks level to tell if its alright or not?

i booted it up one day and it crashed followed by a very bad smell. i tried turning it on again and it did get to the bios screen and then shut down. eventually it didnt do anything.

i figured out hoe to remove the cpu. are there any signs i can look at on a looks level to tell if its alright or not?

Not really, unless it has burnt pins/pads on the bottom. Unlikely though.

i booted it up one day and it crashed followed by a very bad smell. i tried turning it on again and it did get to the bios screen and then shut down. eventually it didnt do anything.

Sounds probably like the PSU gave up the ghost, which in turn can spike voltages and kill other components like motherboards and graphics cards. In my experience the CPU usually survives.

Back