• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can a Bent CPU Socket Pin Break a CPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sTrYk3r62796

So on my ASRock P67 Extreme4 motherboard, one of the socket pins is bent. Is it okay if I use it? Or, should I bend it back, makes me nervous though. Don't wanna "F" up the motherboard so I have to return it. Anyway, could that break my intel core i5 2500k???

Pins should be straight. There are some pin-outs on a cpu that are not used or may be duplicates but in general the pins need to be straight and certainly not off enough for the wrong pin to be making contact with the cpu.

In a word, YES it can bork your CPU if the pads on the cpu make the wrong contact.

Whether or not you bend the pin-s back or not has to be a judgement call on your part...I would say it needs to be done, but if you don't have the confidence to do it yourself, you can RMA it if it is still under warranty.

No I would NOT power it on with a bent pin So be very careful if you decide to fix it yourself...if you can try to find some "hemostats" with the pointed end...very handy in electronic and delicate computer work and use them to straighten the pins...you may have to go just past center when bending them back in order for them to line back up naturally
Hope this helps,
Doc

Okay, the guy helping me with my computer should be able to help me, if I remember to tell him about it. :p Thanks.

Back