• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

since when does newegg limit the quantity of computer items?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer
i was looking at getting a few of the WD blacks, 500Gig/SATA III drives. i then put in the quantity as 2 and then get to the basket. im sorry but the limit is one item per customer, WTF? looking at other drives that cost more or less then this one dont have a limit. yet come across another one that is $5 cheaper with hardly any reviews and the limit is 5 per customer. who in their right mind thought it was a good idea to limit how many items of the same thing your customers can buy? i guess i really didnt need the 2 drives so i could make my raid-10 setup....

i was looking at getting a few of the WD blacks, 500Gig/SATA III drives. i then put in the quantity as 2 and then get to the basket. im sorry but the limit is one item per customer, WTF? looking at other drives that cost more or less then this one dont have a limit. yet come across another one that is $5 cheaper with hardly any reviews and the limit is 5 per customer. who in their right mind thought it was a good idea to limit how many items of the same thing your customers can buy? i guess i really didnt need the 2 drives so i could make my raid-10 setup....

Usually the limits are because of a sale. They want to be able to offer deals to more than a few people and it probably also prevents shops from stocking up.

Had the same thing happen with some memory the other day.

which brings up the question, of "only 1per at this price" do they have more at the other/higher price? at newegg that would be a different "item".

Luckily i have only got on the one that is 5 per person.

it is no sale item
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136795
but yet for $10 more and at a 750gig drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136794
no limit...

the question is how/why do the select non-sale items with limits. makes no sense to allow a no limit on a larger size drive vs the smaller one with a limit. if anything it seems as if they are trying to force you to buy a more costlier item then what you want.

doesnt matter if it is a different item or not, if you want a hard drive(S) for a raid setup. then what your suppose to do 4+ individual purchases to get the number of drives you need. the reasoning for selection of certain items has no logic to it. if said items where in limited supply from the manufacture that would be a different matter.

seeing how i have two of those blacks already from the classies i need two more for a raid 10 setup.

ahh, much better idea.

will they even allow you to buy 1, then buy1 again? with same account?
or do they remember, after all it not like you can go to a different checkout counter :) and pay cash like at the real store.

doesnt matter if it is a different item or not, if you want a hard drive(S) for a raid setup. then what your suppose to do 4+ individual purchases to get the number of drives you need. the reasoning for selection of certain items has no logic to it. if said items where in limited supply from the manufacture that would be a different matter.

i read :) (sometimes) you didnt say if that actually worked
if it did how does that stop someone from getting 20, 1 at a time , and selling them on e-bay anyway?

thats only because i couldnt say , the person who thought up that restriction was a F#^&!* idiot, and it is Bullscat
as far as when, way way back, i remember certian big items like lcd only 1 per, you buy them when you get an Eyefinity card and need matching monitors ;-)

They limit the quantity of certain items that are on sales or promotions (not all Newegg promotions are available to everyone, think of the private codes you get in your email sometimes) and, as long as I can remember, this has been the case.

Back