• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

x6 1100t vs i5 2500k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rdrockyrocks20

Registered
I know that 2500k is way more better than 1100t in every aspect but i have a question regarding their cores.As we all know that there is no game which can utilize 6 or more core ,I would like to know when games using 6 cores will come ,then would 1100t six cores will have an advantage over 2500k or not?

Which is more future proof?

Also please suggest decent motherboards for both of them.budget for mobo is 100-150 USD.I would never overclock my cpu,crossfire nor sli.

Thanks in advance.

2500k hands down. Even in games that use multiple cores well, the 1100 gets left in the dust.

You also have quite a few options if you have a Microcenter near you. The i5 2400 is currently $149 and from what I can see is only a few hundred mhz slower than the 2500. The 2500k is only $179 there as well. Maybe someday you'll change your mind about overclocking and want to try it. With the 2500k that door is always open.

Either way, you'll be happy.

Clocking the 2500k is stupid easy, even on the stock cooler. I'm running a 40% overclock and it took all of half a minute in BIOS.

The 2500K will walk over the 1100T, even if all 6 cores are ultilized.

BFBC2 can utilize more than 6 cores...

I don't think that is true. Task manage may show 6 cores active during play, but the actual cores being ultilized are 4....?

Cycling through 6 cores does not mean the application is 6 core ready.

I'm actually thinking of moving over from AM3 to the 2500K once and for all... but still not entirely sure.

I don't want to move over and the bulldozer starts putting up good numbers. To me, it's all about gaming performance and now that I have a 6970 on 3 monitors, I think the CPU power is important.

The 2500K will walk over the 1100T, even if all 6 cores are ultilized.

I don't think that is true. Task manage may show 6 cores active during play, but the actual cores being ultilized are 4....?

Cycling through 6 cores does not mean the application is 6 core ready.
I see it use more than 4, so.........I would imagine that it uses them as the graph just doesnt jump for the heck of it.

I was in the same boat as you and was going to pick up an 1100t. I went to the microcenter near me and picked up an i5 2500k and gigabyte mobo for around $50 more than the 1100t combo. I'm glad I did too, this thing smashes every game I've thrown at it and I haven't OC'd it yet. You can see the mobo I got in my sig, the total for processor/mobo was $260 after taxes.

Earthdog, why do you recommend against the k version? That one has the unlocked multi...

Whoops, missed the part about not overclocking. Do you suggest that solely because of price difference?

Not strictly true, the 2500k has 3000 series IGP (12 cores) while the 2500 has 2000 series (6 cores).

The 2500k also lacks VT-d support while the 2500 has support, not that that'll matter for 99.99% of us.

Agreed :beer:

I'd still get the 2500k anyway - the price difference is tiny and clocking is so easy...

Well in my humble opinion I say the strongest system wins.

The Z68 boards can be had for 99-120 bucks on the low end and because no OC or multi card solutions are being looked at I think either http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138319 or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128501

On the AMD side I would wait a little while until more 9XX boards are out and then snatch the X6

I have the giga board linked above.

Oh my opinion:( Unless you are topping out a system it makes no real diffrence which you get. Yeah the 2500K will smash (a few percent usually) the 1100t in gaming but smashing and beating have nothing to do with experience. If I were building a topped out system I would go for the 2600K 8GB+ memory, SLI or X-Fire. You are not going that way so honestly that is why I say either CPU. You cant loose. Oh I have 5 AMD systems in my current fleet and 4 Intel systems. I am happy with all of them.

Last edited:
I have finally decided to upgrade my pc processor.I am not in overclocking and would like to buy a decent motherboard with the above processor.Help needed.

Is there a compatibility issue of h67 chipset with k version of the processor?

Please recommend a good motherboard for the above processor.

My overall budget is 400$.

I also plan to use my current hitachi hard disk,LG dvd rw,MSI HD 6850 OC edition GPU,zebronics 500w psu with it.

Are there some points which I should keep in my mind while using the above components with the new processor and mobo.

Will my AMD GPU work perfectly with intel components or I should go for phenom x6 1100t BE.

Sorry to say it, but that PSU is rubbish and should be replaced.

With a $400 budget, I'd go $220 2500k, $65 2x4GB DDR3, $100 Z68 mobo, and $50 for a new PSU. I know, that's a little more than $400, but you can sell the old stuff to make up the difference :beer:

Yes, the AMD card will work fine with a superior processor.

Back