• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Decent job? Building custom computers for profit on college campus.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Proclamation13

I was in the middle of building my new computer in a lab when a curious student came over to talk. After much discussion he seemed confident in my knowledge and asked me to build and overclock a computer for him. We agreed my payment would be 10% of the cost plus ten dollars an hour to put it together and install everything. I couldn't be happier and since he didn't realize that was my first time touching a computer's hardware he couldn't be happier either. My fiancee is a business law student so she'll draw up an appropriate contract to protect me in case something happens and I'll offer to help him fix any problems that arise before I graduate.

This whole encounter got me thinking. I've enjoyed building my computer. Others are willing to pay me to do the same. I knew a guy who used to do this for a living. Does anybody here do this? What kind of demand is there for custom computers? What do y'all think is a fair price?

I saw similar posts from a few years ago ('08, 2x 05'), but I know people are getting more tech savvy in general so I'm not sure if it would still be viable. My grandmother has even overclocked her old CPU and put in a after market heat sink.

Edit: Said fiancee scared me out of doing this due to lawsuit risk. The value of hardware loss wouldn't be devastating, but they could claim any amount for the data loss in a law suit. I'll check to see if I can delete the post.

Last edited:
Back