• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD VS INTEL

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
what do you consider to be a reasonable price? $100, $200, $400, $900?

What do you plan on doing with it?

As far as I am aware Intel holds all/most of the performance crowns and for the money the sandy bridge (2500k or 2600k) processor wins most of them.

It's been confusing to me to said the price limit of my budget. Because some googles i read wasting money for the high end intel can beat by amd mid end.

"bloodsside14" you would have asked a question that had a much better chance of answer if you had asked this: I want to spend no more than $200.00 for a cpu and no more than $175.00 for a motherboard. Now which way to go for about 35% gaming and the other % of the time the system will be used for just surfing the web with a very little video rendering.

Every answer that we might try to give is based on actual use of the system and at "what" price position. Without those parameters being given in the question, there is n0 actual answer. Not really. Good luck man.

A mid range intel can beat the hell out of the top six core amd cpu.. I am just sticking with amd because i don't have the money to upgrade mobo,cpu,and video card..

Intel's $1000 processors beat by AMD's mid-range? That's just a straight out lie. However, now, Intel's own new mid-range CPU's beat their old $1000 range, and they haven't come out with new $1000s yet, so it's a waste of
money.

Straight up gaming, you want a 2500K.

the 980-990x series are not quite a complete waste of money, but for 98% of the users that is true and it is unnecessary. For that 1-2% that benchmark and/or want to use more than 8 threads (read: 12 threads) on a single CPU they are excellent. That said, I can't afford one, and don't plan to buy one anytime soon as I am trying to sell of my X58 setup anyway.

With the new AMD cpus coming out soon, I would hold onto your buying plans until than. It will only be another few months.

the 980-990x series are not quite a complete waste of money, but for 98% of the users that is true and it is unnecessary. For that 1-2% that benchmark and/or want to use more than 8 threads (read: 12 threads) on a single CPU they are excellent. That said, I can't afford one, and don't plan to buy one anytime soon as I am trying to sell of my X58 setup anyway.

Addum, for gaming.

And then another few months til LGA 2011...it goes on and on. :escape:

Actually, depending on Intel, the CPU could be out Q1 2012 or Q3 2012. That is Ivybridge. Problem is that something with the silicon. The difference between the two dates depends on if Intel takes some features away or keeps them.

Please refrain from making personal attacks on other members.

Edited by S-N (Forum Staff)

Anyways, Intel makes faster processors than AMD. The i5 2500/2500K and i7 2600k are beasts. But if you're buying a CPU for playing games any of the x6 AMD CPUs will be fine. I have the 1090t and I absolutely crush every game I play, including Crysis 2 maxed out with DX11 features on, I get average 50-60FPS. I'd wait though, as rumours are saying the AMD Bulldozer CPUs are slapping the Sandy Bridges in the mouth.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm with everyone else in saying wait for the new bulldozers to come out and get benched. Last thing you want is buying a new build a finding out a month later the new processors make yours look like a toy.

I'd wait though, as rumours are saying the AMD Bulldozer CPUs are slapping the Sandy Bridges in the mouth.

+1

I agree with this statement :D if you can wait till late September, we should have the BD and at a reasonable price range.

Right now, Sandy Bridge is the only CPU you should consider unless you are planning to upgrade to Bulldozer in the near future. But this all depends on your system budget.

Typically, budget builds were in AMDs favor, but since the release of Sandy Bridge, those things changed. Given mutli-threading performance and or games developed mainly around GPU usages, they are perform quite similar; but again, with SB on the market, not the same story anymore. Bulldozer might change that.

Gentlemen, just a friendly reminder to keep this thread clean and factual. It is that time of the year where all reason flies out of the window near a CPU release. I hope things will be different this time around.

Thank you.

S-N

+1

I agree with this statement :D if you can wait till late September, we should have the BD and at a reasonable price range.

I think the release date is September 19th :D That's what the rumour is now.

I think I also read the high-end Zambezi Bulldozer will be $320. Not bad, not bad...

@Super Nade, sorry for falling out of line there :(

Yes, I would imagine if the amd chips perform the same or better, the price will also be the same or higher.
And that's my take on this whole situation, it doesn't really matter if BD whipes the floor with SB, which it wont, it would only mean it's gonna cost more. Amd is on a budget because most of their cpu's are slower compared to the ones from intel.
I see the same with videocards, either amd or nvidia, the faster card will cost more.

Anyway, it's interesting for sure and if one is inclined to leap over to amd, then it's best to wait a little longer. But I don't believe a faster amd cpu will cost less than a sandy bridge cpu.

Back