• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel Might Yet Get Sandy Bridge-E Out This Year

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MattNo5ss

5up3r m0d3r4t0r
VR-Zone said:
A couple of weeks ago we reported that Intel's upcoming Sandy Bridge-E processor and Waimea Bay platform had been delayed until January 2012. New information has reached us that suggest that Intel is trying very hard to get the new platform out this year, although this means that the company will axe a lot of platform features.

Source

No 14 SATA ports or PCIe 3.0 doesn't seem like a huge deal. However, I think PCIe 3.0 would be nice to help push AMD/nVidia to make GPUs that push the boundaries of PCIe 2.0.

What are your thoughts?

Honestly, If 8x 2.x isnt holding back cards but a couple % and 16x not holding ANYTHING back (includes dual cards, I believe), I dont see a need for PCIe3.x. I personally dont have a need for 14 SATA ports either.

Bring it!

Not to mention if I'm going to raid 14 drives I'll do it through a dedicated controller with 256mb+ cache.

But... PCI-E 3 needs to come IMO. Should do more for us than give video cards a bump...

I would buy a whole new case for 14 SATA ports.

Still, the fact that they're trying to work out the bugs for PCI-E 3.0 down the line indicates more bandwidth in the future, which means later revisions will have room to add new features and keep Intel experimenting with new technologies. PCI-E 3.0 won't be unveiled yet, but the indication that it's well into the planning stages will keep NVidia/ATI looking at how to take advantage of the raised wall to theoretical performance. Since it's pushed back, component and board manufacturers will have to continue focusing on squeezing out performance with a lower (but still extremely high compared to the older PCI/AGP buses) bandwidth limit, which can't be a bad thing as it's resulted in some seriously powerful hardware on the consumer market.

When PCI-E was initially adopted it took awhile for things to really get rolling, and the performance increases and new feature-sets that have been unveiled on mainstream consumer boards have been ridiculous if you look back as far as 2004/5.

I definitely don't need 14 SATA ports, maybe 4...lol. I hope PCIe 3.0 comes soon to help push for more GPU power, wouldn't want AMD/nVidia to start slacking b/c of a bandwidth wall. It definitely needs to be released before GPUs start getting close to PCIe 2.0 "wall" which should give PCIe 3.0 plenty of time not to be late to the party since we don't seem to be close to that wall yet.

If GPUs actually needed PCIe 3.0, then think of how quickly complex scientific computing could be done :drool:

Especially since there aren't many cases that can support 14 drives.

This is really more of a feature set for users looking to stripe and mirror ssd's.

Really its not surprising when you think about the fact the SB-E is really much closer to a Xeon. With the capacity changes due to 1U servers switching to 2.5" hd's or ssd's, it makes sense. Why use the one card slot you have on a system for drive controller when chances are its gonna be required for high end network adapter or fibre channel card.

As for PCI-E 3.0 for anyone running SLI it should be a large increase in performance. Even if you are not running PCI-3.0 cards. If anything the latency's should decrease across the card bus. Speeding up the transfer rate under what we currently consider to be a heavy load.

Sounds like Intel is eager to do the P67/H67 + Z68 setup again.
Release a new series of motherboards that we have to buy, wait a bit, then release a new series of motherboards that have the features left out of the previous ones.

From the benching perspective, PCIe 3.0 will almost certainly help, though the reasons are buried in the Lounge :sn:

From the benching perspective, PCIe 3.0 will almost certainly help, though the reasons are buried in the Lounge :sn:

As long as I can play Metro 2033 on my left monitor and Crysis 1 with the reality mods on the right with all settings and AA/AF maxed. Maybe dualbox a couple pallies on WOW in the background. All while running furmark...

If not then I consider it a bust.

That makes sense, aren't they supposed to be moving passed sandy bridge next year? If thats the case they have to keep this sucker rolling.

I believe the next one is ivy-bridge. it's said to have PCI-E 3.0 support.

As for PCI-E 3.0 for anyone running SLI it should be a large increase in performance. Even if you are not running PCI-3.0 cards. If anything the latency's should decrease across the card bus. Speeding up the transfer rate under what we currently consider to be a heavy load.

Yes, this is what i am hoping.

I just want to get my hands on one of the E chips. Don't care about 12 sata ports. PCI 3.0 would be nice but I mainly want to get one of the E chips and see what they can do.

I just want to get my hands on one of the E chips. Don't care about 12 sata ports. PCI 3.0 would be nice but I mainly want to get one of the E chips and see what they can do.

chips worthless without a board to run it ;)

jkjk :p

Back