PDA

View Full Version : Amy Winehouse dead at 27

Daemonkin
07-23-11, 01:01 PM
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/E/EU_OBIT_AMY_WINEHOUSE?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2011-07-23-12-53-42

Addiction takes another one. :bang head

doz
07-23-11, 01:32 PM
God... The money these idiots have and yet they choose to be drug addicts and worthless individuals. Its really pathetic if you think about it. Give me the money these morons have and watch me live a great and wonderful life.

Mother Goose
07-23-11, 01:52 PM
God... The money these idiots have and yet they choose to be drug addicts and worthless individuals. Its really pathetic if you think about it. Give me the money these morons have and watch me live a great and wonderful life.

Um...worthless individual? She was an internationally recognized Grammy award winning singer. She was talented and good at what she did.

I'm sorry, but who are you and what have you done that's comparable?

The mathematician, Évariste Galois was well known for being arrested multiple times and died in a stupid duel at age 20. The fact that he died because of some inane reason doesn't diminish his tremendous body of work, for which he is recognized for many years later.

No I don't condone Amy Winehouse's lifestyle. But I'm willing to admit that she has done more for herself at 27 than I will at that age. In a hundred years, it's conceivable that some people in the world will still listen to her music. Can you say the same for some of the stuff that you've produced?

mbentley
07-23-11, 01:59 PM
i must say that i really enjoyed her music after having been introduced to it by my wife. she was a very talented writer and singer. it is just too bad she couldn't turn her life around.

doz
07-23-11, 02:07 PM
We obviously have different perceptions on life MG, as weve both learned over multiple threads.

I dont care what youve done in life. Sometimes, not doing anything but being a good person and caring for yourself and others is more than what many people do on a daily basis that everyone recognizes.

She chose to do drugs for years and years, and now finally this. Everyone always complains about drugs and how it destroys people, communities, families, and sometimes innocent people who arent even involved. How is she any different? Shes the exception because she is a musician who some think is great?

Shes a drug abuser, and not even a recreational one at that. She enabled drug dealers to be on the street with their violence and other things. No thanks, no loss to me.

SteveLord
07-23-11, 02:36 PM
Surprised I hadn't heard about her in a while though. I guess more talented women like Gaga and Katy Perry have been in the spotlight instead. No beef from me about that at all.

This reminded me of Ryan Dunn's death...and the irony. Tragic no less, but still ironic.

Archer0915
07-23-11, 03:51 PM
Never heard of her. Oh I don't listen to music on the radio so I guess that is why.

ChanceCoats123
07-23-11, 04:07 PM
But now Family Guy won't have anyone to make fun of... :cry:

Mpegger
07-23-11, 04:33 PM
But now Family Guy won't have anyone to make fun of... :cry:

They can now start with necrophilia jokes. :thup:

And I'm with doz on this one. No loss at all. Actually took me a few seconds to remember the name since she fell off the face of the earth.

Bobnova
07-23-11, 04:45 PM
It's a sad end to a sad lifestyle.

The comparison to Ryan Dunn is very applicable.
On one hand she made a lot of people happy with her music, that's excellent.
On the other hand, she lived a lifestyle that is downright dangerous if not flat out stupid, and not surprisingly it killed her.

I guess I have more room for multiple feelings, I think that anyone that makes lots of people happy is succeeding. I also think that living the drugs'n'booze lifestyle is quite stupid, largely because it ends with a mighty early death.

marketpantry
07-23-11, 05:57 PM
lettuce be reality for a midget, she was going to go out this way to matter what.

RJARRRPCGP
07-23-11, 09:43 PM
It's a sad end to a sad lifestyle.

The comparison to Ryan Dunn is very applicable.

Reminds me of Elvis Presley. Spoiled and died young.

Bobnova
07-23-11, 10:19 PM
Fiancé and I were discussing Elvis, very similar.
Massive talent.
Massive drug/alcohol problem.

Mr. $T$
07-25-11, 10:55 AM
Brian Jones did it before it was cool.

madhatter256
07-25-11, 11:27 AM
It's really not a surprise that the 'good' artists are the ones that are :censored::censored::censored::censored:ed up in the head. Messed up people make good music and they take drugs to cope with life.

Guess she couldn't handle what was given to her.

stunt
07-26-11, 01:41 PM
No loss to me. Didn't like her, didn't listen to her. But now she is one of the famous 27's.

marketpantry
07-28-11, 02:17 AM
its sad when people who arent evil die, but she had ample opportunity to get help. hell she even wrote a song about not going to rehab... she was hellbent on living that life and its that lifestyle that killed her.

deadlysyn
07-29-11, 02:03 AM
It's really not a surprise that the 'good' artists are the ones that are :censored::censored::censored::censored:ed up in the head. Messed up people make good music and they take drugs to cope with life.

Jimi Hendrix was another perfectly good example of this. :(

oakstave
07-29-11, 04:23 PM
This reminded me of Ryan Dunn's death...and the irony. Tragic no less, but still ironic.

Really? Where is the Irony? Am I missing part of the story of either of those deaths?

Irony deals with opposites. When you get the opposite outcome of what you expected, it can be described as 'ironic'.

So, if Ryan Dunn had drunkenly crashed his car at 130 mph into a tree, ejected from the vehicle and as he flew past, he saved a teenager who was reenacting one of his stunts, landed on his feet, and proclaimed everlasting sobriety? Now THAT'S ironic.

If Amy Winehouse OD'd at home, fell out her window, and landed on a homeless man who quit breathing, shocking him back to life, and causing both of them to live sober lives forevermore? That's perfect irony.

But a guy who gets loaded and does crazy stunts, and then gets killed doing a crazy stunt off camera, is NOT ironic. It's completely predictable. A drug addict found dead in her bed? Not ironic. Predictably tragic, yes, but ironic? No.

Your use of 'tragic' is perfect however. Tragedy is when a person's personal weaknesses cause great misfortune.

In other words, when you hear a reporter talking about a derailed train killing 29, it's not tragic unless the driver of the train had a lifelong drug problem while driving. It just sucks.

Yes, I know the definition of 'tragic' has been expanded due to 'popular usage'. Well, I say $C&EW Popular Usage! It's a great word when it's used correctly. I cringe everytime I hear someone talk about how 'tragic' it is that a child got cancer... well unless the kid had a bad habit of eating plutonium, it's not tragic. It's just sad.

I blame that stupid song by what's-her-name... The Chorus is "Isn't it ironic?" and then she goes on to name a bunch of stuff that has nothing to do with irony.

Niku-Sama
07-29-11, 05:09 PM
so she was 27, we were talking about this thinking she was only 26.

we were talking about the 27 club, basicly famos people who were killed/died at the age of 17, not all drugs of course plane and car crashes for quite a few of them

JonSimonzi
07-29-11, 05:12 PM
I cringe everytime I hear someone talk about how 'tragic' it is that a child got cancer... well unless the kid had a bad habit of eating plutonium, it's not tragic. It's just sad.

That line almost made milk come out of my nose.

And to be fair, Wikipedia states

Tragic irony: A type of dramatic irony. In tragic irony, a character's actions lead to consequences that are both tragic, and contrary to the character's desire and intentions

Since, I doubt either Dunn's or Winehouse's desires or intentions were to die, and both of their actions led to tragic consequences, it could be considered a "tragic irony".

oakstave
07-29-11, 05:27 PM
That line almost made milk come out of my nose.

And to be fair, Wikipedia states

Since, I doubt either Dunn's or Winehouse's desires or intentions were to die, and both of their actions led to tragic consequences, it could be considered a "tragic irony".

OK, but I think this is stretching the meaning of the word beyond usefulness. Sure, they didn't INTEND to die, but that doesn't make crashing a sports car while drunk automatically 'ironic'. It's a completely predictable outcome to a completely predictable problem. Speed + Alcohol = Crash.

"Grandma tripped on the sidewalk and died. How ironic... she never meant to trip. Grampa died too. Ironic, as he never wished nor intended to quit breathing." :rolleyes:

If you take that definition, then every accidental death is Ironic. I disagree vigorously.

Now, Grandma tripped and died while taking a physical therapy class to improve her ambulation skills? THAT'S Irony.

JonSimonzi
07-29-11, 05:41 PM
OK, but I think this is stretching the meaning of the word beyond usefulness. Sure, they didn't INTEND to die, but that doesn't make crashing a sports car while drunk automatically 'ironic'. It's a completely predictable outcome to a completely predictable problem. Speed + Alcohol = Crash.

"Grandma tripped on the sidewalk and died. How ironic... she never meant to trip. Grampa died too. Ironic, as he never wished nor intended to quit breathing." :rolleyes:

If you take that definition, then every accidental death is Ironic. I disagree vigorously.

Now, Grandma tripped and died while taking a physical therapy class to improve her ambulation skills? THAT'S Irony.

I'm with you, I agree that either death is any bit "ironic". That Wikipedia definition is just something I found through a Google search while looking for a quick blip on "What is irony" that I had read in the past.

Douken
07-30-11, 09:30 AM
So another one joins Club 27 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Club_27).

Cerberus2k7
08-13-11, 10:22 PM
To compare her against those like Hendrix and to say she's an "influential musician" is just an insult. She brought nothing new to the table and her "talent" was mediocre at best.

rainless
08-14-11, 01:28 PM
To compare her against those like Hendrix and to say she's an "influential musician" is just an insult. She brought nothing new to the table and her "talent" was mediocre at best.

Nobody compared her to the likes of Hendrix... you merely imagined it. :D

All they said is she was 27... and they were also twenty seven. Hell if YOU hadn't made it past 27 you could be in the club without anybody comparing you to Janis Joplin.

As for her talent... The Black Keys don't really "bring anything new to the table"... but the Black Keys are AWESOME.

For that matter the Rolling Stones and the Stooges weren't necessarily bringing anything new to the table.

...that was just as close as they could get to the Blues.

BobbyBubblehead
08-14-11, 03:25 PM
Im relieved myself. For weeks I thought there were 27 died in an army warehouse.... its not easy being dyslexic lol

Cerberus2k7
08-14-11, 03:40 PM
Nobody compared her to the likes of Hendrix... you merely imagined it. :D

All they said is she was 27... and they were also twenty seven. Hell if YOU hadn't made it past 27 you could be in the club without anybody comparing you to Janis Joplin.

As for her talent... The Black Keys don't really "bring anything new to the table"... but the Black Keys are AWESOME.

For that matter the Rolling Stones and the Stooges weren't necessarily bringing anything new to the table.

...that was just as close as they could get to the Blues.

From the wiki article that was posted:

The 27 Club, also occasionally known as the Forever 27 Club, Club 27 or the Curse of 27, is the title for an epitomic group of influential musicians who all died at the age of 27.

Followed by:

Musicians usually included in the 27 Club:
Robert Johnson
Brian Jones
Jimi Hendrix
Janis Joplin
Jim Morrison
Kurt Cobain
Amy Winehouse

They they have a list of "other" people who died at that age which is where she should be listed.

Adak
08-14-11, 05:46 PM
Bobby, you're crackin' me up :rofl:

When will the public wise up, and not say "NO!" to these illegal drugs, but "Hell NO!".

Is there really any family that doesn't know someone who has died from messing with them? We can't hardly count the untold numbers rotting in prisons from messing with them, the crimes they generate to feed their habit, etc.

People who are SO uber-concerned about every endangered species on the planet, turn a hell of a blind eye to all the damage to humans and animals, all along the pipeline of illegal drugs. From the poppy fields of Afghanistan and Southeast Asia, all along the way. Look at what the drug trade has done to Mexico in the last 10 years alone. Easily more than 10,000 killed over the drug battles, there.

We need a better introduction to drugs class, in our schools. Something to prepare them for what they might get into, later. Some teacher to tell them that they can bend over and kiss their but*s goodbye, as soon as they start using, because their life as they knew it, is over.

Clearly, that's a message that the kids aren't getting from their parents, or need reinforcing on.

Amy was undoubtedly talented, but unfortunately, didn't have the common sense that God gave to geese, to put it bluntly.

RIP Amy Winehouse.

doz
08-14-11, 06:52 PM
You just cant blame drugs on parents though. No matter what a parent does, a child does grow up and makes their own choices. There are so many people who find drugs AFTER they are adults. Can you blame the parents, schools, whoever else then? That person does what they want with their life.

Education can only go so far. People are just stupid. Watched a really cool show on Orca's (Killer Whales) today and I think they are smarter than alot of humans.

Adak
08-14-11, 09:33 PM
You just cant blame drugs on parents though. No matter what a parent does, a child does grow up and makes their own choices. There are so many people who find drugs AFTER they are adults. Can you blame the parents, schools, whoever else then? That person does what they want with their life.

Education can only go so far. People are just stupid. Watched a really cool show on Orca's (Killer Whales) today and I think they are smarter than alot of humans.

Oh, I do blame the parents. The parents frequently do little or nothing about teaching their children about the real hazards of drug abuse - indeed, many of the kids that get into trouble with drugs, saw their parents abuse them, as their example, in life. You can't expect children to not be strongly influenced by the example they see when looking at their parents.

Education and social attitudes can go VERY much farther than it is going currently, to curb drug abuse. Look at cigarettes, for example. 30 years ago, all the movie stars were lighting up in the movies, and everyone thought it was the cool thing to do. Now it's totally turned around. If you smoke, you're practically pre-judged to be an idiot, who doesn't care about his/her health, or the second hand effects of their smoke, on others.

We've been tough on drug abusers in our penal system, but we haven't been tough enough on drug abuse, in our social system. Their recidivism rate after even the best treatment and rehab programs, is very high, their crime rate is astronomically high, to pay for their habit. If you get in their way, well... too bad for you. The fix is more important.

Socially, we've coddled the hell out of drug abusers. It's not "nice", but we need to get tough in this area. It's a lot like these beggars I see every few days along a main road nearby. I asked one guy why he did this, he was fairly young, looked smart. His answer was so honest:

"Because people that drive by keep giving me money."

So true, so true. Had to applaud his honesty. :clap:

oakstave
08-17-11, 12:32 PM
Oh, I do blame the parents. The parents frequently do little or nothing about teaching their children about the real hazards of drug abuse - indeed, many of the kids that get into trouble with drugs, saw their parents abuse them, as their example, in life. You can't expect children to not be strongly influenced by the example they see when looking at their parents.

Education and social attitudes can go VERY much farther than it is going currently, to curb drug abuse. Look at cigarettes, for example. 30 years ago, all the movie stars were lighting up in the movies, and everyone thought it was the cool thing to do. Now it's totally turned around. If you smoke, you're practically pre-judged to be an idiot, who doesn't care about his/her health, or the second hand effects of their smoke, on others.

We've been tough on drug abusers in our penal system, but we haven't been tough enough on drug abuse, in our social system. Their recidivism rate after even the best treatment and rehab programs, is very high, their crime rate is astronomically high, to pay for their habit. If you get in their way, well... too bad for you. The fix is more important.

Socially, we've coddled the hell out of drug abusers. It's not "nice", but we need to get tough in this area. It's a lot like these beggars I see every few days along a main road nearby. I asked one guy why he did this, he was fairly young, looked smart. His answer was so honest:

"Because people that drive by keep giving me money."

So true, so true. Had to applaud his honesty. :clap:

A new Temperence Movement?

The issue gets blurry when one realizes the majority of users aren't problematic to society. The guy who drinks his 12 beers every night, but gets up and goes to work everyday is seen as 'hardworking guy who deserves a drink'. In truth, he's publically killing himself every night.

The Onion puts it rather succinctly: http://www.theonion.com/articles/dea-chief-winners-occasionally-use-drugs,971/

I'm not aware of any society that has been able to eradicate drug use in humanity. It appears to be genetic predisposition. I can't think of one society in history that didn't use intoxicants.

So if you create a class of pariahs who are otherwise productive in society, you probably just create a backlash against 'straights' as we used to call them in the 1980's. You make drug use cool.

I'm all for consequating behavior, and not use. Drug use is no excuse for bad or illegal behavior.

I also need to challenge the premise that drug use is somehow sanctioned by society. Even people using legal medical pot are routinely treated as 'stoners' who have cheated the system except by others doing the same.

Almost every job requires a drug test now. I think society has done everything they can to stop illegal drug use, with no affect whatsoever. Parents and family members are the ones who tend to coddle drug users, not society per se, don't you think? No one approved of Amy using, we are just a sick society that enjoys watching rich entitled people self-destruct.

Your example, smoking, is an example of a legal, government controlled substance. Perhaps if the drugs were legal, and goverment controlled, your approach would work? I don't think so, but historically it does appear that substance abuse is best controlled when the substance is legal, taxed and regulated. People drank a lot more during Prohibition than after.

Pinky
08-17-11, 01:54 PM

My parents had nothing to do with me becoming a drug addict.

Crash893
08-22-11, 09:58 AM
meh

doz
10-26-11, 04:21 PM
I was wrong.. Drugs didnt do her in, alcohol did.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/45033481/ns/world_news-europe/?GT1=43001#.Tqh5ZbKX354

Bobnova
10-26-11, 06:13 PM
BAC of 0.4 is indeed well within the lethal range.

I still feel sorry for her though, she clearly had issues.

Mother Goose
10-26-11, 07:33 PM
Really? Where is the Irony? Am I missing part of the story of either of those deaths?

[...]

Your use of 'tragic' is perfect however. Tragedy is when a person's personal weaknesses cause great misfortune.

In other words, when you hear a reporter talking about a derailed train killing 29, it's not tragic unless the driver of the train had a lifelong drug problem while driving. It just sucks.

Yes, I know the definition of 'tragic' has been expanded due to 'popular usage'. Well, I say $C&EW Popular Usage! It's a great word when it's used correctly. I cringe everytime I hear someone talk about how 'tragic' it is that a child got cancer... well unless the kid had a bad habit of eating plutonium, it's not tragic. It's just sad.

Your correction of someone's use of "irony" is fine, and that's a common mistake.

However, your correction of "tragic" doesn't make sense to me. I attach two PDFs from the OED: one for the definition of 'tragic' and the other for the definition of 'tragedy'. Basically, 'tragic' references any event which is a 'tragedy'---and a 'tragedy' can be used to reference any unhappy or sad event.

I don't know what you mean by "popular usage", as its clear from the references given therein that the use of "tragic" to describe various sad event (unconnected with a person's weaknesses) occur as late as the 18th century, and certainly in the 19th century. I would not describe expressions used in the 1800s as an artifact of "popular usage".

So no...there is no need for you to cringe when people describe a child with cancer as "tragic".