• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Supplies for shipping computer parts? Recom.?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

XxAlbertoxX

Hi guys, I just started to sell some of my computer parts on E-bay and it's my first time but have absolutely no idea how or what to ship the parts like CPU or RAM etc.. in.

I do have my original boxes for my GPU cards but not CPU or RAM. I see people recommend antistatic bags/wrap/foam with bubble wrap?

Would a general hardware store be the best option to purchase these items?

Do you need to ship the item on ebay and update tracking # for the payment to be "cleared" on the sellers end?

Please let me know and I appreciate any help thank you

Hi guys, I just started to sell some of my computer parts on E-bay and it's my first time but have absolutely no idea how or what to ship the parts like CPU or RAM etc.. in.

I do have my original boxes for my GPU cards but not CPU or RAM. I see people recommend antistatic bags/wrap/foam with bubble wrap?

Would a general hardware store be the best option to purchase these items?

Do you need to ship the item on ebay and update tracking # for the payment to be "cleared" on the sellers end?

Please let me know and I appreciate any help thank you

Albert,

See if this "Sticky" helps you:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=678552

RT

An office supply is more likely to have shipping materials rather than a hardware store. That being said, it may not be the most economical. Usually they sell it in bulk, so if you are sending one or two items it is not worth the cost.

You might ask certain types of retail stores if they would give you some rather than throw it out. Furniture, for example, ussually comes to the store wrapped in bubble wrap.

Anti-static bags might be hard to find at a retail store. Although you might ask a local computer repair shop if they have some they would give (or sell you). If they do system builds, they are bound to have some from the parts they put in the machines.

If you are sending USPS Priority mail, you can get free supplies here (boxes, not packing materials).

After reading RT's sticky, I realize most of this is similar or the same as what is in there, but I am too lazy to delete.

Wow, thanks for your guys help.

Your post really helped me alot, even though for some reason I cannot see that sticky page (comes up with some weird error about how my account my not be authorized or administrator has restricted blahbalh)

Thanks again.

Wow, thanks for your guys help.

Your post really helped me alot, even though for some reason I cannot see that sticky page (comes up with some weird error about how my account my not be authorized or administrator has restricted blahbalh)

Thanks again.

Albert,

You need a few more posts to see that in the Classifieds but here it is:

USPS On-Line Shipping Account

To our many sellers in the Classified section, a sale isn’t complete when a “Dibs” is posted.
The seller is still responsible to see that his buyer receives his package safely and sends it packaged correctly.
This isn’t difficult and an on-line USPS account should solve any packaging problems.

Here’s how and why:

• Set up an on-line USPS account, it’s very easy (you’ll need access to a credit card or have Paypal) http://www.usps.com/. If you don’t have a credit card, ask Mom or Dad if you can use theirs.
• Ship via Priority Mail. Confirmation of Delivery is free when paid on line (save $.70 cents)
• Priority Mail costs are also slightly less when paid for on-line.
• Order flat rate Priority Mail boxes on-line. They are free and the USPS sends them right to your house free. They come in various quantities from 10 to 25. Order all you need.
• Many sizes of Priority Mail boxes are available in the USPS store and occasionally at your post office. Ask for them. Some are perfect for shipping motherboards, vid cards, power supplies.
• Insurance is always prudent on expensive items. You can also buy it on-line.
“If it fits, it ships” flat rate no matter the weight.
• Print the shipping label on your printer with a receipt that you keep.
• Take your package to the post office and have them “scan it in.” You’ll get an email receipt with a Confirmation of Delivery number too.
• If your rural, click “pick-up” and your mailman will pick up your package during his routine delivery.
• Send your buyer his Confirmation of Delivery number.

By the time you go buy or look for your own boxes or mailers, pay for Confirmation of Delivery manually, using USPS Priority Mail on-line will save you the trouble,
you’ll have a quality box to protect your items when packaged correctly, and your buyer will be happy when he receives it.

Need packaging material?

Those “peanuts” used for packaging material may seem to be a PITA but professional shippers will tell you “They work.”
Bubble wrap works great too in conjunction with the “peanuts.”

Don’t have any? Go to your local schools and library,
they would be happy to give this material to you when they get it from receiving book and supply shipments.
They only trash it anyhow and you’ll be doing both a favor. Don’t buy it from your local Staples or Office Max, it’s a rip-off.

You just can’t beat the cost and convenience of an on-line USPS Priority Mail account with access to the USPS store.
UPS and Fedex just can’t match the cost and convenience.

Back