• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what cpu should i get

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you do not absolutely need an upgrade now I suggest waiting. The fall season will bring us plenty new chips plus drive SBII costs down depending on total stock of specific skus.

If you need to upgrade now I suggest a 2500k.

I would second the suggestion to wait (if you have the time). But then you also have to remember that there is always something more exciting and powerful down the line.

Not a bad choice at all as we can expect an approximate launch around mid-September only a month from now. If it does keep up with the hype I'm sure you wouldn't be disappointed.

Well now you can get that 2500k/2600k that you've always dreampt about.

Fair enough, you won't be disappointed like you were with the Dulldozer launch!

The more I think about it, and now that the 'THATS IT' hype has worn off, I feel like I'm going to swap to recommending the 990FX/8120P combo. And change my AVATAR.

(GASP)

WHY?

Numerous gaming benchmarks are out now, and honestly clock for clock, in GAMING, 2500K = 8120. The difference is 5% at most. Marginal.

Considering you can OC an 8120 a little farther than a 2500K with air (albeit better air), we're left with the following equation, for what matters to me- which is 3D gaming. I know my PC will do music movies and surfing perfectly if it can rip top tier 3D games so that is out the window in terms of importance.

Fun=
2500K 8120P
MEM X2 X2
OC X2 X1

Final (lower is win)
2500 12 8130 9

I am defecting to red team.
Sure the TDP and heat output are garbage. Sure the efficiency is garbage, but once you OC the thing, it is an excellent platform where the PCIE and SATA connectivity and bandwidth crush Sandybridge like an elephant on a mouse.

if we r on topic. any chance you can recomend me a mobo?
my ideas :
1.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131791
2.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130610

planning to get another 6950 so i need support for crossfire+ ddr3 1600 + planning 2 overclock. both look good tell me your opinion?!

I don't think that there is much reason to spend that much on a mobo unless there are some really key features that you are looking for.

$180 after rebate: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128507

@ocnoob, I'm not quite sure how your scoring system works...

The more I think about it, and now that the 'THATS IT' hype has worn off, I feel like I'm going to swap to recommending the 990FX/8120P combo. And change my AVATAR.

(GASP)

WHY?

Numerous gaming benchmarks are out now, and honestly clock for clock, in GAMING, 2500K = 8120. The difference is 5% at most. Marginal.

Considering you can OC an 8120 a little farther than a 2500K with air (albeit better air), we're left with the following equation, for what matters to me- which is 3D gaming. I know my PC will do music movies and surfing perfectly if it can rip top tier 3D games so that is out the window in terms of importance.

Fun=
2500K 8120P
MEM X2 X2
OC X2 X1

Final (lower is win)
2500 12 8130 9

I am defecting to red team.
Sure the TDP and heat output are garbage. Sure the efficiency is garbage, but once you OC the thing, it is an excellent platform where the PCIE and SATA connectivity and bandwidth crush Sandybridge like an elephant on a mouse.

DIDNT GET A Thing

Last edited:
Looks like the deluxe has two network jacks (people rarely use both), that's part of why I said that. If you can find a feature that the deluxe has that you want that the pro doesn't then I guess you could make an argument, but for the most part they are the same.

Back