• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

loweric

Registered
Hi, my friend got a P3 500MHz computer, and he want to upgrade the CPU to 1GHz, however he doesn't know the brand and model number of his motherboard and he lost the manuel too. Is there anyway that we can find out wheather he could use the old mobo for a new 1GHz CPU? Many many thanks...

One way would be to look on the motherboard for the brand name and model number then go to the manufacturers website and look it up. Also you could just try it and see what happens and if it works then good if not then you probably need a new motherboard or just a BIOS update. Well hope this helps.

BTW this belongs in the Intel Motherboards section try to post in the proper topic please.

I'm gonna leave this here for one minute, while I suggest something, and actually, the answer would put it over into the "Other Software" catagory....

Download a program called "SiSoft Sandra"...this is an informational and benchmarking program that will tell you just about anything you'd want to know about your 'puter.

The downloadable version can be found here: http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/sandra

Let me know when you've seen this, so I can move it to the software topic...

Welcome to the Forums, BTW! Hope you enjoy our humble abode! :beer:

**when you go there....scroll down to the "Acknowledgements", part way down the page...Hey, who's link is that under "beta support"??? :D **

Last edited:
It's very probable that your mobo can support the chip, but before we give you a more concrete response we'll need the following information about your mobo:

Manufacturer
Model
Slot type (Slot 1 or Socket 370)

With those two little data we can give you a better advice. If your mobo is a OEM mobo (like the ones used by assemblers) the manufacturer will be a little obscure, so with the program that Mr. B told you (SiSoft Sandra) you can give us the chipset name and that coupled with the slot type we might be able to figure it out. Welcome to the forums.

there are sites out there that will tell you the Manufacture and Model by using your bios string...its at the lower left corner when you boot up...If I can remember the site, I'll post it..all you do is enter your bios into the search box, and it gives you the specifics...there is also a BIOS WIZARD, this little program will read your bois for ya, and give you the Info.

If the Mobo supports a 133FSB then it will probably take a 1GHz CPU. If not, your max is about 750 - 800MHz

Back