• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can physics performance be increased?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Angelicus

I just set up 2 6850s in crossfire and got a nice but not dramatic increase in 3D11 marks - went up from around 3500 to about 5700 (hoping to hit mid-7000s) - my physics scores are low (but in "comparable" ranges) - I assume this is CPU related - is there anyway short of a new build to improve this? running q6600 @ 3.5 ghz - other specs below

3DMarkll: Increase physics scores.
You can try different video drivers,. Other than that it is pretty much down to higher overclocks. Memory clocks/timings can increase the physics score a bit.

Last edited:
Thanks - not sure if you mean chipset drivers or something else - I thought the former were pretty much a donedeal for a specific MOBO - if nor, where do I look for options? ...also I've not done much tweaking memory - I expect one of the how-tos on this site can help - the AMI bios Biostar uses seems a lot more complex/difficult to understand than the Award I was used to...

Thanks no prob - I'm using catalyst 11.7, but the low scores are for ridgid body physics which I think are handled by the CPU? Going to try with the memory, but I won't be upgrading to ddr3 until I redo the mobo/cpu sometime - 2012 - I hope.

Last edited:
right as it is with ATI all physics will be done by the cpu, ATI has no current feature to allow physics on GPU. if you want to allow physics on GPU then right now you need to look at NV. NV does physics by the CUDA programing, which is taken off, in sorts for physics. ATI on the other hand is using OpenCL for its programing and that would at some point be able to do physics. that is when ATI decides to start trying to push OpenCL to game dev's. NV is open to using OpenCL as well but currently Cuda has way more ground so its harder for OpenCL to really get going right now.

He was using 3Dmark11 and wanting to increase its' bench performance in physics. No matter Nvidia or ATI...3Dmark11 does not use the GPU. No matter the brand of video card in 3Dmark11.

hmm i thought it would off load to the GPU in that bench, did they chance something then? i dont keep up with the 3dmarks all that much. i just remember a big deal being made about NV and physics and how it got a huge boost in points.

Virtu isn't going to help with this is it? Even if Ivybridge gets it to work better? Any chance the new gen AMD cpus will do something in this regard?

hmm i thought it would off load to the GPU in that bench, did they chance something then? i dont keep up with the 3dmarks all that much. i just remember a big deal being made about NV and physics and how it got a huge boost in points.

I don't really keep up with the 3Dmark bench anymore either. However following g00gle link into the futuremark forums, there was a description of how physics was handled and it was said that Physics calculations in 3Dmark11 were handled for Nvidia and Ati by the cpu. 3DMark Vantage was said to use a different method of physics score calculation.

So if the cpu is going to make the physics calculations in the bench, then it seems reasonable to believe that only speeding up the cpu or to a minor extent the ram speed or timings along with speeding up the video card...well those seem the only way to speed up physics calculations in 3Dmark11 for a greater physics score.

Back