• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I cannot make up my mind..AMD or Intel?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kskwerl

I keep going back and forth between buying an AM3+ board and Intel 1155.
I already have a 1155 board and an i7 2600k. Though I'm not very happy with it and it was my first Intel build. Lots of problems with the mobo and I didn't exactly get the best 2600k. It doesn't overclock very well.

Both will give me an upgrade path, one to bulldozer and one to ivy bridge.

Every time I see the intel road map I'm like "ok def going intel". Then I look at some AM3+ boards I really like and I'm like "ok I'll go AM3+".

What would you do if you were in my situation?

Until Bulldozer comes out or Ivy Bridge. I'd say neither. I'd invest in a another MB. The 2600K is no slouch, even at stock speed. Who knows when BD is going to be released.

He bought a Z68 board which is likely not a mature platform and is having teething problems like most hot off the shelf platforms have. Not sure what else he would buy if he was going to stay with the Z68 since all brands would be going thru maturation. Maybe one brand could be more sorted than another Z68.

But I do agree that when the 2600K's were being used on P67 boards...the overclocks on good mobo's were pretty darn astounding for ease of attainment.

He bought a Z68 board which is likely not a mature platform and is having teething problems like most hot off the shelf platforms have. Not sure what else he would buy if he was going to stay with the Z68 since all brands would be going thru maturation. Maybe one brand could be more sorted than another Z68.

But I do agree that when the 2600K's were being used on P67 boards...the overclocks on good mobo's were pretty darn astounding for ease of attainment.

What are some of those p67 boards? Also, on p67 boards..ivy bridge is going to be compatible not just z68 right? That's a dumb question I know..

i have that same MB and noticed when i updated to the new firmware (f8) fixed alot of bugs including the ssd speed.

i also noticed that i was able to o/c to 4.5G at a lower voltage.

Nooster took the words right outta my mouth. Try upgrading the bios and see if that fixes anything.

Back