• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"Reserved" FSB jumper on old board

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Godfodda

I'm playing with an old PB system with an Intel motherboard. Chipset info:

Northbridge?: SB82371SB
Southbridge?: SB82437VX

There are some other numbers, too, but I think those are the relevant ones.

This has a 166 CPU (2.5x66) and jumper settings for 1.5 - 3 multiplier and 50/60/66/Reserved FSB. I've been able to jump to 200 by upping the multi from 2.5 to 3. I'm wondering what the "Reserved" FSB option is. Anyone have an idea on that?

One of the pins is removed for selecting this. Looks like it was removed by the manufacturer. I can solder in another pin or jumper wire, but I'd like to know what setting I'm playing with before I do it. Any chance that it might be 75/83/100? :) TIA

EDIT:: I looked at the wrong pin. The Reserved pin grid is intact. I set the jumpers there (with the multi still on 3) and posted back at 166. ?? Any ideas?

Last edited:
Hmmm...

The Ol' VX chipset. Havent seen one of those in a while.
That board should support a 200Mhz CPU, maybe a 233MMX.

Maybe its for clearing the BIOS password?
I know on some of the older boards, this was possible with a jumper.

Awhile back, I played around w/ a generic Pentium (non-MMX so the voltage the MMX CPU received was way too high) board that had this Reserved FSB setting. I threw a 233 MMX in it and tried the Reserved jumper setting; it slowed the computer down to a crawl and didn't get through POST. Like you, I was hoping it would be a higher FSB setting. Anyway, I dunno is the only answer I have...sorry.

Got me Godfodda...back in the P166 days I wasn't into overclocking much. All I knew then was move the jumper and see if it locks up or not

Johan...how's that 1100E running?

I was recently given a 'puter with P-133. Did some checking, downloaded the manual from Biostar. It had a bus speed setting for 75 MHz for running Cyrix at 150 (2x75). Also found that it had a voltage setting down to 2.1, low enough for a K6-2+. Flashed the latest BIOS, set the bus speed to 75, set the mutiplier to 2, which the K6-2+ sees as 6, and it runs smooth at 450. I put the board in a spare AT case I had, had a friend at work buy a K6-2+ 450 from Tiger Direct for $35.00, got him a deal on an 8 gig drive for $20.00. His old Packerd Bell only had 2 one gig drives. And it only ran at 200 MHz. And it was a pizza box besides, no room for a CD burner. He doesn't play games, so this will be a big improvement for him, for very little money. I gave him the board and the case, sold him an 8 meg vid card for what I paid(18.00). So, that board may go faster than you think.

Thanks everyone for the replies. (Yep, I'm WAY slow. Been gone for a few days.)

Didn't even think of BIOS flash. :rolleyes: I'll check into that. PB info is pretty sparse these days, though.

Back