• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Uh...Help?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome!!

Thats funny, because I have no idea what you are talking about... :p

So lets start fresh. What do you need help with? Sadly, this site is only allowed to mind read on Tuesdays. haha! :)

Welcome!!

Thats funny, because I have no idea what you are talking about... :p

So lets start fresh. What do you need help with? Sadly, this site is only allowed to mind read on Tuesdays. haha! :)

Well... someone told me about these forums so I figured I would come check them out. I just upgraded my computer. I got a friend to do it because I thought he knew what he was doing. Apparently I was wrong.I had a real old computer and I was on a real tight budget. I got a Pentium D 945 Dual Core processor @ 3.4ghz, 800Mhz if that means anything. A EVGA GeForce 9400GT 1GB DDR2 PCI Express (PCIe) Dual DVI Video Card, 4GB of ram, and ASUS P5N-D NVIDIA nForce 750i SLI Socket 775 ATX Motherboard...I got him to install Windows 7 on it. My computer is alot slower than I thought it should be. I think the problem is my computer cant handle Windows 7. I play Diablo II, would like to play Starcraft 2, and plan on playing Diablo 3... so, got any advice lol?

Now thats better!!! :)

In order to paly those games, you would really need to upgrade your CPU and video card. Changing the CPU will help how W7 runs too.

I would say grab a 'cheap' quad core Q8300 and say GTX 460 1GB videocard.

What is your budget for an upgrade? What resolution is your monitor?

I am not too sure, I know it can run at 60 Hertz but I am not positive of the resolution, I am at work now so I would have to check when I got home. My budget as of now.... I just bought a car so Im pretty broke lol. But I would just say the most cost efficient one you would advise. Im working on buying an engagement ring now, so its tight for me right now

You will be looking at a couple hundred dollars at minimum really. Thats not including the possibility that you may need a new Power Supply.

So you owe us:

Resolution of your monitor
Power Supply wattage and brand
Budget

:)

Logisys 480W 20+4-pin ATX Power Supply w/SATA. I'll have to get back to you on the resolution, and budget.... lets say 250. Get close

Lots of old 775 socket CPU floating around. Might be worth a look in the used market. A Q6600 is quite nice. Got one myself off of Kijiji for $20. A GPU upgrade is definitely on order. AMD 6770 or 6850 is going for pretty reasonable prices these days.

For your $250 price I would find a used CPU, get a 6770 and get a new 650W+ PSU. A good PSU is definitely worth the $$ and may be used on the next system upgrade.

Last edited:
Lots of old 775 socket CPU floating around. Might be worth a look in the used market. A Q6600 is quite nice. Got one myself off of Kijiji for $20. A GPU upgrade is definitely on order. AMD 6770 or 6850 is going for pretty reasonable prices these days.

For your $250 price I would find a used CPU, get a 6770 and get a new 650W+ PSU. A good PSU is definitely worth the $$ and my be used on the next system upgrade.

What is kijijijijijijj? I think I might of put too many ij's in there... Where can I get something for that price. Thats awesome. Help me find that please! :thup:

What is kijijijijijijj? I think I might of put too many ij's in there... Where can I get something for that price. Thats awesome. Help me find that please! :thup:

Kijiji is a popular local classified ad here in North America. I'm from Canada. Recommend you look for a Core 2 Dual or Core 2 Quad. Either will OC easily. The good thing for you is that 775 socket has been around for a long time (relatively) so there should be lots of used CPU floating around.

khkjkjkjkikjkabcd is probably a user here or some other site.

Kijiji is a popular local classified ad here in North America. I'm from Canada. Recommend you look for a Core 2 Dual or Core 2 Quad. Either will OC easily. The good thing for you is that 775 socket has been around for a long time (relatively) so there should be lots of used CPU floating around.

Ok cool, thanks. Hopefully I can find one of them 20$ deals like you got ;)

Yes... however you need 100 posts (dont spam to get there) and an ISP/EDU/MIL email I believe. Double check on that in the forum rules. :)

Sweet! You wanna sell me one when I get there? lol jk. I dont spam, maybe by the time Im done with this thread I'll already have 100 posts:)

I like this website.

OK I dont know when you'll read this again, but screen resolution is 1280x1024

Lots of old 775 socket CPU floating around. Might be worth a look in the used market. A Q6600 is quite nice. Got one myself off of Kijiji for $20.

If I were to rub your foot would it bring me good luck?

Seriously, seems like some good luck going on there, because I don't hardly ever see Q6600's going for less than $80-100.

If I were to rub your foot would it bring me good luck?

Seriously, seems like some good luck going on there, because I don't hardly ever see Q6600's going for less than $80-100.

Yep that was good luck. Actually $20 wasn't just for the CPU, it was a complete HP box that no longer work. I was taking a risk. I think the PSU went and took out the MB with it. For $20 I got the Q6600, 500 GB HDD, and 2 x 2GB DDR2 RAM. I got lucky on this one. Having said that I do see a lot of 775 CPU around my area for pretty cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back