• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pentium G620 vs Phenom II X2 555

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

glasszon

The computer will be used for running R/SAS simulations remotely, file server and possibly act as HTPC to play some HD movies. Right now I have mostly narrowed my CPU choice to between Pentium G620 and Phenom II X2 555.

The price difference is quite small, currently I am favoring Pentium G620 because it have a much more modern design (Sandy Bridge) but Phenom X2 555 allows easy overclocking via multipliers and possible unlock to a quad core as well. (I will only use stock cooling though)

Which CPU would be a better choice for this type of computer?

Last edited:
The computer will be used for running R/SAS simulations remotely, file server and possibly act as HTPC to play some HD movies. Right now I have mostly narrowed my CPU choice to between Pentium G620 and Phenom II X2 555.

The price difference is quite small, currently I am favoring Pentium G620 because it have a much more modern design (Sandy Bridge) but Phenom X2 555 allows easy overclocking via multipliers and possible unlock to a quad core as well. (I will only use stock cooling though)

Which CPU would be a better choice for this type of computer?

You will be using the IGP I presume?

Regardless this comes down to system cost and also realize that there is a slight chance you can unlock the 555.

I probably will buy a cheap GPU so it can at least plays 720p movies reasonably well. I am planning to spend as little as possible, in terms of cost is there any reason to choose Intel or AMD? Since the CPU price is just about the same between G620 and 555, I assume the only difference would be the platform cost?

I probably will buy a cheap GPU so it can at least plays 720p movies reasonably well. I am planning to spend as little as possible, in terms of cost is there any reason to choose Intel or AMD? Since the CPU price is just about the same between G620 and 555, I assume the only difference would be the platform cost?

Either will work for you and you do not need a discrete GFX solution to play 720 movies. An AMD E350 is all you need for the file server/HTPC stuff but the simulations may need more multitasking ability unless they are smart background apps.

I would suggest moving up to an i3, Athlon II x4 on an x90x chipset or an AMD Llano. This should give you better multitasking preventing and stutter in playback, it will limit heat and using the IGP saves power.

Last edited:
I think I'd go Llano, solid CPU performance and a pretty solid IGPU too. Plus, they're cheapish.

Back