• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem with Newegg - Received 3 dead cards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nightfly44

Well, sadly I didn't do a search about newegg before buying my parts this year. In the past, they were always very good. Now, they have shipped me three dead, used, but sold as new, video cards. This is clearly not an oversight. I guess they've just become another scam vendor.

Well, sadly I didn't do a search about newegg before buying my parts this year. In the past, they were always very good. Now, they have shipped me three dead, used, but sold as new, video cards. This is clearly not an oversight. I guess they've just become another scam vendor.

Instead of bumping a year old thread, why didn't you just do what this thread is mostly about and PM the newegg rep? Complaining but doing nothing about it will just get you a lot of nopity.gif

*edit: I've moved this from the old thread to a new one. Sent the Newegg rep a PM.

Last edited:
I shall. Thank you for the link. The reason I posted on that thread and bump it was to let people know it's still going on. Even if they are willing to remedy the situation, it's just not the right way to run a business. Good service isn't just taking care of those who complain; it's doing the right thing in the first place. I could guess about why they do this; but no matter why, selling used products as new is something that shouldn't be done. I could perhaps understand if it was an isolated incident, but the previous thread shows that it is not. They're clearly aware of what's going on in their company and have made no corrections in their procedures to stop a clearly unethical practice. BTW, in my case it was three separate shipments, one June, one July, and one in the beginning of September. So they're clearly putting back returned merchandise on the shelves without examining it, as a routine practice.

Not to rain on your parade or anything, but after they would have shipped me 2 used video cards in a couple of months that I had ordered as new cards, I would have taken a bunch of pictures of the new video card as I was unboxing it for proof they were sending used video cards. Did you by any chance take pics of this video card as proof? As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words and with picture proof posted in forums, they would have to start modifying their practices of selling used merchandise as new. I personally haven't ever received any "used" product from them being sold as new, but I am open to looking at the proof of this happening. And enthusiast sites such as these forums spend multiple thousands of dollars there every month and if they are stiffing people with used product sold as new, I know that I would start looking elsewhere to buy from.

On any RMA, always record the serial number. A photo of it helps. Reselling used as new is not NewEgg policy and it's illegal unless stated as
"Open Box." Management may not know about it but they will correct it with the proper evidence.

Did you buy as "Open box?"

So they're clearly putting back returned merchandise on the shelves without examining it, as a routine practice.
Can't exactly be 'routine' if you're the only one experiencing the problem. But I can see how you might be frustrated.

I'd like to see the discussion between nightfly44 and the Newegg rep, including how this problem is resolved. Otherwise this thread makes me a bit suspicious that someone's trying to give Newegg a bad rap in forums.

I've spent so much money with newegg I don't even want to think about it. I've always had fantastic service (aside from the fact that UPS blows) and have never ever had any pushback when I've gotten a damaged/defective product.

I posted a review that a case I purchased for a friend came damaged. In the post I said that I use it in a closet so it works perfectly for me and I purchased another case for him. I wanted nothing from this other than to make other people aware of some design flaws in the case. The next day I receive an email stating that they were so sorry that happened and what could they do to remedy the situation. I told them not to worry about it because I was perfectly happy with the product. I now have even MORE loyalty toward them for their efforts to try and make me happy even though I already was.

I would like to know what makes you think you got 3 used cards in a row that were sold as new. Until then I call shenanigans.
:pics:

I got a case a few weeks ago that was damaged in shipping... it was slightly bent and some things didn't line up quite properly, but it wasn't worth it to me to delay my build for several weeks to try to get a mint condition case. I don't blame NewEgg for it, I blame the gorillas at UPS who have damaged thousands of dollars' worth of merchandise coming to me over the years.

I want to know what specifically brought you to the conclusion that you were the victim of 3 separate incidents of used merchandise being sold as new. I, too, would take my several thousand dollars per year of business elsewhere if I could be convinced this were a pattern of fraud being perpetrated by NewEgg.

The OP hasn't logged in since they posted so I seriously doubt that they are going to return. It honestly sounds like they are just trying to make them look bad.

The OP hasn't logged in since they posted so I seriously doubt that they are going to return. It honestly sounds like they are just trying to make them look bad.

I'm checking with the Newegg rep to see if the user contacted them or not as they said they would. I'm guessing the never did and this thread is here just for that. If so, I'm getting rid of it. We're not here as an outlet for people to spread lies about vendors.

I'm checking with the Newegg rep to see if the user contacted them or not as they said they would. I'm guessing the never did and this thread is here just for that. If so, I'm getting rid of it. We're not here as an outlet for people to spread lies about vendors.

Matt,

So far this thread looks like a "drive-by."

Hi there nightfly44,

First and foremost, I would like to apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused you. Receiving used cards is definitely not Newegg procedure and we would be more than glad to take care of this issue and make sure that it isn't happening to anyone else as well. Send me an e-mail to [email protected] with your sales order number and I would happy to make sure that this is resolved. Thank you and have a great day!

Well, I found a review on NewEgg's website for the ASUS Matrix GTX580 that sounds like it might be this guy... here's the review, it's the 3rd one, at the bottom. It was written in early July, which puts him after the 2nd of his 3rd alleged used cards. But apparently he went ahead and went for a 3rd (I wouldn't have).

User name is different, so I'm not sure if it's the same guy, but it's worth a shot for either NewEgg or us to contact him and get more info. Review says he's a verified owner, so I think that means he did purchase the product he is reviewing from NewEgg. If what he says is legit and can be verified by either NVidia or NewEgg (he says he has serial #s), then I have serious concerns before I make my video card purchase next week.

Maybe I should just go with Amazon this time...

A year or 2 so back
i recieved a new oem amd processor
that was obviously previously used
with scuffs and tim stain

but through the rep contact here
i got set up with the retailed version
(the 940 iam still using without a hitch)
and 20 bucks credit for my troubles
prepaid

thank goodness for the OC forums
other contact outlets are not as effective fur sure

just saying it could happen
but after 2 used cards
and the OP being a member here
u would think that there wouldnt be a third time
regardless

edit...i see maybe he just signed up with Oc forums after the third card
still i woulda tryed somewhere else after 2 used cards
or made contact with the rep and insisting on retail with the seal

maybe there are some peops
who borked the new cards with a high OC
and resealed em for take back
to make em look like unopened and new still?

Last edited:
OMG its true. Why newegg? why do this to loyal customers omg so scared to buy from them now was gonna get a gtx 580 classified or a matrix but scary as hell to buy from them.

OMG its true. Why newegg? why do this to loyal customers omg so scared to buy from them now was gonna get a gtx 580 classified or a matrix but scary as hell to buy from them.

Really? I've made a dozen orders or so in the last couple of months and have been generally pretty happy.

Things are not quite what they used to be, but I still think they're pretty darn good, especially compared to any local retailer in my area.

It has been a while since I have ordered from Newegg but I did just order a SSD early yesterday. A few years ago, that SSD probably would have been shipped out and been on its way later that afternoon but I did receive a notification that it was shipping this morning. I guess you just have to realize that the service they were providing was absolutely incredibly fast before. With that being said, they still have some great deals to be had if you are patient enough to wait for the right time to buy. I've been waiting to grab a SSD for over a month now (getting alerts about SSDs on slickdeals) and it just so happened that it was at Newegg that had a deal I was looking for.

Can't exactly be 'routine' if you're the only one experiencing the problem. But I can see how you might be frustrated.

I'd like to see the discussion between nightfly44 and the Newegg rep, including how this problem is resolved. Otherwise this thread makes me a bit suspicious that someone's trying to give Newegg a bad rap in forums.

He's not the only person who has experienced this in the past from Newegg... Searching these very forums, you'll see http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612522 for example...No retailer is above reproach, it would seem.

It has been a while since I have ordered from Newegg but I did just order a SSD early yesterday. A few years ago, that SSD probably would have been shipped out and been on its way later that afternoon but I did receive a notification that it was shipping this morning. I guess you just have to realize that the service they were providing was absolutely incredibly fast before. With that being said, they still have some great deals to be had if you are patient enough to wait for the right time to buy. I've been waiting to grab a SSD for over a month now (getting alerts about SSDs on slickdeals) and it just so happened that it was at Newegg that had a deal I was looking for.

I think I can top that. I ordered an SSD and two 2TB WD Drives Tuesday Morning (Very early...like 3am)

They arrived at my house at 4:30pm that same day. (I live in the same city they have a warehouse in, and the parts were all available locally.)

Then, yesterday at around 2:30pm CST, I ordered the MSI Z68/2500k combo, Corsair PSU, Dark Knight CPU Cooler (ugh...but it's better than stock), and 8GB of Vengeance RAM. It's all on the UPS truck to be delivered today.

I, too, have had past issues with Newegg but, overall, they will generally make right the "oopsies" that may occur from time to time.

The rest of the time they serve my needs well enough that I still choose them over other retailers, even though I end up paying Sales Tax (because of their local presence in my State) This doesn't make the m necessarily the cheapest vendor...but they remain the best, overall, for my needs.

Back