• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

possible RAM issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

adrian719

Hey guys.
I have 8GB of RAM in my computer. Two 4GB sticks. Now, when I check CPU-Z, it shows 8GB of RAM, however, a few other programs (Ccleaner, Hardware Monitor, etc) show that I only have 3-4GB of RAM.
Is there any way to make sure my computer recognizes, and utilizes all 8GB?

thanks

If you are using a 32bit operating system, that is all you are going to get. Upgrading is the only option.

If you are running a 64bit OS, check the following:
"Memory Remap" is enabled in the BIOS (may be named something close)
Make sure Windows isn't limiting it on startup - Run "msconfig", go to boot.ini and click Advanced Options. Make sure MAXMEM is unchecked.

If you are using a 32bit operating system, that is all you are going to get. Upgrading is the only option.

If you are running a 64bit OS, check the following:
"Memory Remap" is enabled in the BIOS (may be named something close)
Make sure Windows isn't limiting it on startup - Run "msconfig", go to boot.ini and click Advanced Options. Make sure MAXMEM is unchecked.

So I cant utilize more than 4GB of RAM on a 32bit system? that sucks!
Guess I really need to upgrade to 64bit win7...

Dumb question, but, will not using all 8GB of ram ruin the ram sticks? I mean, I know 8GB would not be in use even if I had a 64-bit O.S. but it would be able to be used, if you understand what I am trying to get at.

I don't understand what you are getting at. Either the OS has access to all the RAM, or it doesn't. There is absolutely no reason to be running a 32 bit operating system, except for driver/program incompatibility, which is nearly non-existent. I can think of one program that doesn't work on it.

Basically you're just wasting 2 watts(max) of power with an extra 4gb sticks in 32bit.

Upgrade to 64bit and you'll be allowed to use it if you can get it to go over 4gb usage(which is pretty rare for gaming).

I also don't quite understand what you're getting at.

Back