• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair.What's the difference between these 3 sets?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tanooki

Registered
I'm trying to decide between these 3 sets but I can't really understand why the price difference besides the looks.They all have the same timings,speed and voltage.Can someone please enlighten me?These are my only 3 options nearby and I have had nothing but fantastic luck with Corsair memory in the past so I decided to use them again in my new build.Thanks for any responses. :)

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0359903

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0358348

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0360143

Since they are rated all for the same speed, there really isn't a difference when at stock. They may use different chips, which will change how they overclock. They may be binned, so the more expensive one might overclock better. I haven't been keeping up with new hardware, so I can't say for sure.

Personally, I'd go for the blue ones.

The Vengeances, the only difference is color of the heat spreaders. As for the last one it has a different heat spreader style. The Vengeances are more popular for overclocking and look cooler IMHO. I have a set of Vengeances myself :D . As for performance you won't notice any difference. Pretty much aesthetics will be your deciding factor.

Thanks for the responses guys.I was actually pushing towards the Black Vengances but then I realized my 212+ would most likely be in the way.I have it mounted with the fan pointing up so I'm pretty much limited to the 2nd and 4th slot and the crappy PNY stick I was using until I could find some better ram were almost touching the heat sink as it was and they were about the same profile as the XMS3.I went ahead and got the XMS3 and am very satisfied.If they perform as well as my XMS2 sticks I know I have years of trouble free memorification ahead of me.

The Vengeances, the only difference is color of the heat spreaders. As for the last one it has a different heat spreader style. The Vengeances are more popular for overclocking and look cooler IMHO. I have a set of Vengeances myself :D . As for performance you won't notice any difference. Pretty much aesthetics will be your deciding factor.

Are you certain both use the same IC's and the same PCB?

I'm pretty sure they do at least with the Vengeances. For example random colors are released on occasion. Newegg has the red ones which are exclusive to them (I own a set of those :D). Highly doubt corsair is gonna redesign ram just for exclusive color rights and identical performance.

Vengeance comes in red, blue and black. There is also white edition which is lower voltage and I understand the implication is thats even better for OC'ing

I have some black vengeance LP and they fit lovely under my A70 and still look the part well nearly as good as standard vengeance. The standard vengeance are huge! Seriously I put a pair of each in at one point and they stick out massively in comparison. Much bigger than they look in the pics. Seeing as your only looking at 1600's then may as well go for black vengeance LP's or even white ones if you feel some OC coming on. Also LP's were a few £'s cheaper for me.

I have the XMS3 form Micro Center, they work fine for me, no complaints, if your looking to havily OC maybe it matters...

Vengeance heat spreaders are utter crap. First off, the TIM is a thick sticky pad, nothing that would provide any useful heat transfer, and likely reduces cooling, plus the heatsinks fall apart like they're made of glass.

They are very thin aluminium, so thin it feels like plastic to the touch. The vengeance spreaders don't fit all that neatly and there are some little gaps between the fins whereas the LP's feel a lot nicer, more solid and fit tight.

While the vengeance spreaders look good in pictures in a rig as you can only see the top of them they don't really stand out unless you are specifically looking at the ram. Also on both of them the cool vengeance stickers are on the cooler side. I don't understand that you just can't see them unless you have watercooling/stock fan.

If you get standard vengeance then one day you will decide you need a new cooler and feel like :facepalm: Unless you already have water cooling in which case standard vengeance will look cool.

Attachments

• P1030478 (Large).JPG
    P1030478 (Large).JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 13,430
  • P1030642 (Large).JPG
    P1030642 (Large).JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 13,405
When making my purchase of vengeance RAM the guy behind the counter said he only had 2x4g of red and 2x4g of black. I needed 16gig so I asked him if there would be any problem putting them in together, he said no. I thought no, but since bringing the RAM home they both work independently, i.e. the red works by itself and the black works by itself but no matter what combination I put them in, when all 4 are together my computer only reads 8gig.

Moral of the story, doesn't matter what colour, but stick to it :)

When making my purchase of vengeance RAM the guy behind the counter said he only had 2x4g of red and 2x4g of black. I needed 16gig so I asked him if there would be any problem putting them in together, he said no. I thought no, but since bringing the RAM home they both work independently, i.e. the red works by itself and the black works by itself but no matter what combination I put them in, when all 4 are together my computer only reads 8gig.

Moral of the story, doesn't matter what colour, but stick to it :)
That is not a ram issue my friend. ;)
I suggest you start another thread about fixing it.

Back