• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I add Ripjaws mem instead?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

svetko

Sometime back when I built my machine (with a big help of people on these forums of course) I got this 3x2GB OCZ memory with the idea to eventually add another set of the same exact one. Now that the prices are so low, I am thinking to go with this 3x4GB Ripjaws instead. Other than it's a Ripjaws Series but I personally don't see any difference in the stats between the two and I don't see mine available in 3x4GB and only in 3x2GB.

Can I go with the Ripjaws Series?

Just don't use both at the same time. One or the other. A lot of people try to mix.
You can use any DDR 3 RAM. First gen i7 tend not to give any complaints from 1066>2000Mhz. Above 2000Mhz you usually need to finesse the system into taking the RAM, especially at higher RAM volumes like 12GB.

1600Mhz, 12GB will be accepted without issue by your board. Do make sure you have the latest bios update as I believe that series of board was mfg pre 4GB sticks (?).

There is still nothing a gamer really needs >6GB for, mind you.
You will likely see no significant improvements. If you used 6GB physical, 6GB RAM disk, or 8 and 4, that'd likely make a more significant improvement so you wouldn't bog your system down accessing a page file on a slower SSD or HDD. www.ramdisk.com I think.

Hmm.. I was thinking to add it to the other one and have 18Gb total. I mostly work with large video files in Adobe Premiere, so the amount of mem should make a difference. Should I then go with just another set 3x2 instead?

And yes, I think my board is pre-4GB sticks. Will check for latest bios right now.

(i think the link you provided is not the one you had in mind)

Hmm.. I was thinking to add it to the other one and have 18Gb total. I mostly work with large video files in Adobe Premiere, so the amount of mem should make a difference. Should I then go with just another set 3x2 instead?

Only if you can find the identical OCZ set. This may not be easy as they haven't made RAM for a while now.

All modules should be identical. Either run 12GB (3x4, new set) of 1600 or you can run 24GB (3x8 or 6x4, new set) but if you run more than 12GB you should buy 1333 or 1066 memory as large volumes are not as easy to handle at high speeds for the controller.

You should never run modules that are not the same . Even if they are the same main latency and voltage and brand, but are not the same part number, don't use them. They should all be identical.

:)

Cool, then I'll just get another set of these and have 12GB total - all identical! :) Thanks a bunch!

EDIT: I found some complains that when 2 sets of these (total 12GB) are installed it doesn't run at 1600. I also see that the 6x2 package on newegg is at 1333, not sure if that's the same memory though..

Last edited:
It's easier for the mem controller to adress 3x4 than 6x2
You MAY not be able to hit 1600 with 6x2 of anything.

IMO it's best to just sell your currently owned RAM and buy 3x4 of new RAM.

Wait wait, you have 6gb 1600 in triple channel?

And you want more?

There is no need for more ram, no matter what you do, it's just a waste of cash on almost no performance. More sticks also = more strain on cpu.

Wait wait, you have 6gb 1600 in triple channel?

And you want more?

There is no need for more ram, no matter what you do, it's just a waste of cash on almost no performance. More sticks also = more strain on cpu.

So I wouldn't feel any difference in Adobe Premiere or Photoshop from 6GB to 12GB?

So I wouldn't feel any difference in Adobe Premiere or Photoshop from 6GB to 12GB?

Oh yes you will. Most people just don't abuse RAM enough to need more than 4 or 6GB. People who work with massive video/photo/CAD projects need all the RAM they can get their hands on.

Go to the 12GB. Ideally get a set of 3 4GB sticks. It is gentler on your memory controller than 6 2GB sticks. The price difference, given how cheap RAM is these days, isn't much of an issue IMO.

Remember to update your bios before you install the new RAM if you will use 4GB modules as I said I think your board was mfg before they existed.
If I were you I'd probably go nuts and get 24GB of 1333 (may have to run @ 1066 since it's so much). It's cheaper than popcorn these days. I'd probably run 16GB physical 8GB RAMdisk for page file, no page file on storage media. But I'm crazy. 12GB is fine.

Tests have definitely proven that if you aren't gaming, more RAM used properly is better than less, faster RAM. (12GB of 1333 > 6GB 1600. For your particular purposes.) And not in benchmarks. And yes I can quote source but it is in Spanish. Ole.

Last edited:
hehe :) cool, that's what I thought.
i'll try to place my 6GB for sale here and go with this GSKILL 3x4GB (unless you'd suggest a different one)

i just got the latest bios and will update it right now.

Hi,

G.SKILL will not suggest if you using two different kits at the same time, it may cause incompatible issues and also G.SKILL will not guarantee if you do so!

BTW your CPU is at 4Ghz or more right? You should really run an i7 9XX at 4Ghz or higher. Makes a big difference.

nope - i am still fighting to make it stable at 21x200.. i don't know much about oc and followed some tutorials (like this one) but couldn't make it work really.. it just starts increasing temp without even running prime95 and crashes within 5 minutes..

i actually changed these from the tutorial a minute ago:
IOH VCore - 1.400V to 1.200V
IOH/ICH I/O Voltage 1.650V same
ICH VCore - 1.250V to 1.200V​
and it seems stable so far, will run prime95 right now..

EDIT1: nope, crashed again, back to stock, gotto read more.. lol what should my memory settings be for this ram?

EDIT2: I changed my voltages to:
CPU Vcore 1.40000V
CPU VTT Voltage +300mV
CPU PLL VCore 1.800V
QPI PLL VCore 1.350V
DIMM Voltage 1.650V
IOH VCore - 1.200V
IOH/ICH I/O Voltage 1.500V
ICH VCore - 1.200V​
and now my firefox doesn't even start... prime95 hits 100C within 10 secs.. :(

EDIT3: dropped to 20x200 and QPI PLL VCore 1.4V and started getting blue screens with memory errors..

also in my bios under CPU Feature I have Turbo Mode Function "Disabled" and can't be changed, and yet in the main menu (Freq/Voltage Cntrl) I have a Turbo Mode that I can turn on or off, which doesn't change the Turbo Mode from the CPU Feature.. regardless what's selected I always have the option for 21 multiplier (don't need to unlock it by enabling TM).. any tip here?

Last edited:
Hmmm, maybe too much thermal compound, and check heatsink placement.

Other than that, I don't see how it gets that hot.

Back