• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HUGE problem with Memory Detection

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xxking

I have a HUGE problem that I only now took seriously. A couple of months back I added another set of 6gb ram to my computer.. everything worked perfectly fine up until about 2 months ago when I noticed how windows shows that I have 12 gigs of ram but only 8 are usable, I put everything in stock settings and just left it be.. today - I finally got enough time and formatted my windows in hopes that this thing will go away.. yet it hasnt gone away and is the same.. I decided to overclock a bit and overclocked my CPU to 3.0Ghz and memory up to 1645Mhz (thats the advertised speed of the RAM).. its still the same.. so I decided to take out one set of RAM and see if it helps.. and now it says I have 6 gigs but only 4 usable.. I have no idea what to do anymore.. I am running windows 7 ultimate 64bit..

spec is as follows:
EVGA X58 FTW3
Intel Core i7 930
Corsair H50
2x Corsair Dominator 6gb DDR3 1600Mhz tr3x6g1600c8d
Enermax Revolution 85+ 1050W
1x WD velociraptor 300GB (Main boot drive)
1x Seagate Barracude 2TB SATA III (Storage)
Corsair Obsidian 650D
EVGA GTX 470 superclocked

I have posted this on another forum and people there seem to have a similar issue to mine and have been telling me this is an x58 issue and is a problem with the memory controller.. some say that I need to loosen up one of the screws on my cpu cooler - i have no idea which, others say I need to overclock/play with settings in my bios etc.

I am willing to overclock or change anything in the bios as long as you know what you're doing.. my computer is meant for overclocking the fact that I am not into it is a whole different thing.. also it would be nice if you know what to change specific for EVGA motherboards so I would'nt have to break my head.. I have seen topics about Asus mobos on different forums but not on EVGA

Any help is appreciated!

If it works at stock, but not while overclocked, you could try raising the voltage for the memory or the memory controller. Make sure you have "Memory remap" enabled in the BIOS, and it may be labeled differently. When booting, see how much the BIOS reports for RAM and then move onto Windows.

Your BIOS cant detect the full amount, so its nothing the OS have any responsibility for. The OS simply reads the stuff the BIOS does and trying to handle according to that.

In your case your PC most likely isnt compatible with your RAM manufacturer. It might help to switch DIMM around in the slots, you may try out other combinations. If it doesnt help, you do need to get another DIMM. If your vendor is nice they may switch out your RAM for free with another one. Such issues are actually very common. I do recommend, if you want to have 12 GB = 3x4 GB, then i would get 3 DIMM @ 4 GB and not 6 DIMM @ 2 GB, because as more sticks your board have to handle as harder it gets to make it compatible.

No computer is "meant" for overclocking. Its always "out of spec", so its wholely at your own risk and the promise a manufacturer makes is not always fitting with reality. Finally OCing should be handled with lot of care and the help from experts, and only in term you truly can make use of more power (usualy gamer does).

I

I have posted this on another forum and people there seem to have a similar issue to mine and have been telling me this is an x58 issue and is a problem with the memory controller.. some say that I need to loosen up one of the screws on my cpu cooler -

Any help is appreciated!
The X58 isnt having failure by default, its simply that the boards are having a different design and its close to impossible to have any board compatible with any kind of memory. So its advisable to check out in advance before buying a board, for memory compatibility. The memory controller of a I7 is builded inside the CPU, thats a standart spec for any given I7, its not the controller causing problems here. Its simply that the board may have a different interface and electronical design and that isnt always fully compatible. Usualy as smaller a board as lesser electronical parts in order to provide compatibility and therefore its harder to have small boards compatible than bigger ones, again, that have nothing to do with the memory controller.

Do not losen any screws, seriously, someone asking to have a CPU burned. Do not OC in order to find out detection, its aswell completly useless.

Last edited:
Back