• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

About phenom ii x4 840

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

raident30

im planning on getting this one... but review says that it doesnt have an L3 cache.. can anyone explain to me if that is a bad thing or i can just ignore it... does it make a huge significance on performance... btw im using this for gaming and some overclocking in the future... can anyone enlighten me?

LINK >>

A comparison of cpus at same speed; with one having L3 cache and the other without. This is the conclusion page. Lots of interesting testing was done from the first page to the last.

The link says something very interesting about cpu speed working in the L3 cached cpus favor as speed increased.

Is there a blanket statement that would conclusively say you do not need L3 cache? No such answer is really valid. You can do pretty good generally without L3. It is more economical to not have L3 cache. In real world applications, the performance results would tend to favor having L3.

EDIT: overclocking is going to depend on the motherboard. Most of the time when people start going toward a 'cheaper' processor; they also go with a cheap motherboard and windup with a motherboard that does n0t support overclocking very effectively. END EDIT.

LINK >>

A comparison of cpus at same speed; with one having L3 cache and the other without. This is the conclusion page. Lots of interesting testing was done from the first page to the last.

The link says something very interesting about cpu speed working in the L3 cached cpus favor as speed increased.

Is there a blanket statement that would conclusively say you do not need L3 cache? No such answer is really valid. You can do pretty good generally without L3. It is more economical to not have L3 cache. In real world applications, the performance results would tend to favor having L3.

EDIT: overclocking is going to depend on the motherboard. Most of the time when people start going toward a 'cheaper' processor; they also go with a cheap motherboard and windup with a motherboard that does n0t support overclocking very effectively. END EDIT.

why is it economical?

I have one overclocked to 3.6. I recommend it. Looking back I would've gone with a chip with L3 but I'm not disappointed with it in the least. Paired with my 5850 I play games like fallout and the mass effects on max settings without a stutter at 1080.

IMO if your going to go so far as to buy that chip you may as well buy an athlon x4 and save some cash. That pehnom is just a rebranded A2 anyways.

The PhII if you want to OC and for stock clocks go with the Athlon. Unless you are under heavy loads http://www.overclockers.com/amd-phenom-ii-athlon-ii-performance-comparison/

At stock speeds the AthII is a match for the PhII in a normal load situation and actually is . 25% faster in PC mark vantage and showed well in some other tests as well. If you plan on moderate to heavy multitasking then the PhII is the way to go.

i plan on heavy gaming.... (with the advent of MW3 and D3, who wouldnt plan on gaming?)

The phenom 2 965 IS a black edition(BE). So that would be my suggestion if its your only option.

Back