• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"Bang for the Buck" Single Thread CPU for Minecraft Server

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

E_tron

Good Morning OC Forums,

Minecraft Server software runs in javaRTE and it is incapable of multithreaded operation. I am looking to build a new bare bone rig with a relatively cheap CPU that has very good single thread performance (FLOPs per core). It needs to beat the existing 1.5ghz Athlon X2 3250e. We've outgrown that CPU and we now rationing player slots.

It's all about CPU single thread performance here. Multiple cores, RAM speed, video, and HDD are not limiting factors.

I'd like to entertain overclocking if there are some hidden gems out there.

Thank you

Last edited:
FYI, several of the better Bukkit plugins make use of threads, and Glowstone is supposed to use threads where appropriate, since it isn't based on the official Minecraft server.

SB and a cheap dual core in the 2.8ghz region is where i'd go.
Over double the performance of the previous setup, and the CPU runs maybe $100.

Single core wise, the Sempron 145 is a beast and quite overclockable. It still looses clock/clock to SB, but it's cheap and can clock much higher than a non-K SB chip.

pettyg359: I've used bukkit on test server and I was unable to get it multithreaded. Which plugins are you referencing?

Bobnova: it appears your right, a SandyBridge chip from intel would deliver the fastest single thread performance. However, I'm not happy about intel gimping the low end SandyBridge chips and low end chipsets (and in general closing out nVidia, SiS, and AMD from the chipset business). I'de prefer not to support intel's monopolistic ways on SandyBridge chips. What about the older Core iX series chips or LGA775 Core2 Wolfdales; are they worth considering?

I have been looking closely at the AMD Sempron 145. It looks like a real winner. Is it anywhere near intel's SandyBridge chips clock for clock?

Thank you

My E5400 is bossy, period.
No idea how a MC server would perform with it, since I'm not familiar with that game, but its an extremely cheap CPU.

Back