• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Speed or quantity?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Contra

ok gurus, question
currently my backup computer has 2G DDR2 800
and I have an extra 4G DDR2 1066
so I know (I think)
if I add the 4G DDR2 1066 to the current set up it will clock down
but is it better to have 6G of RAM at 800MHZ
or 4G at 1066MHZ?
the comp will allow the 1066MHZ so no worries there

Last edited:
It comes down to how much the system will use. If you will never go over 4gb, then there is no need for more. If you do exceed 4gb, then the slower 6gb will be substantially faster than swapping to the hard drive.

It comes down to how much the system will use. If you will never go over 4gb, then there is no need for more. If you do exceed 4gb, then the slower 6gb will be substantially faster than swapping to the hard drive.

I agree 100%.

Usually, more is better. It's not a huge speed difference, so i wouldn't worry about it. Drop the 6GB in and let it run at 800. For general use, and even most games, you won't see a difference.

^ +1 on that as well if you use 4Gig+. Most things, except benching, you won't notice the difference in speed.
So the list to check:
-64 bit OS, if not its useless
-Do you use lots of ram currently? Or plans on to? Certain programs?
-If you can't utilize all the ram I'd suggest at least swapping the 2Gig kit for the 4Gig. At least you'll have more ram and its faster, better of both worlds.
-As for speed its a last thing on the list, really you won't notice it much if any in day to day using the PC, benching YES you will but otherwise not really.

well I do make videos for my offroad club and adding splitting editing seems to take a lot of memory so I though I might give it a try

seems to be running fine, doesnt run any faster or slower than before
but it will probably be better at video editing not that it has more memory...that was my main goal

kinda cool to see someone else from SA....

Back